The Inbetweeners Movie

Director: Ben Palmer
Starring: Simon Bird, Blake Harrison, James Buckley, Joe Thomas
Run time: 97 mins
Rating: ***

This summer we join the nation’s favourite incompetent teenagers on their quest to Malia for “sex, booze, tits, sex, fanny, minge . . . sex, tits, booze and . . . sex”.

Where the transition from small screen to big screen has been a rocky one for many tv series’ *ahem Sex and the City, ahem*, The Inbetweeners Movie almost feels like an extended episode, much to the relief of fans. The characters haven’t been warped and the plot builds on relationships established over the course of the show’s three series’. Capitalising on the unfortunate zeitgeist of going on ‘lads’ holidays to such choice destinations as Malia, Magaluf, or Ibiza, our four ‘fwends’ set off on a journey which features more crude gags and witty lines than you could shake a stick at . . . and the most realistic prosthetic turd I have ever seen.

The movie delivers nothing that the series didn’t, but that doesn’t really matter. It takes advantage of the affection we have cultivated for the socially inept foursome, in order to give us one hundred minutes of wonderfully tasteless escapism. The script, as ever, is full of the wacky, ridiculous and downright cringeworthy sorts of things we have come to expect from The Inbetweeners. By the same token the gags are as robust and hilariously infantile as ever, whilst Will’s hopelessly cerebral narration offers a witty counterpoint to the alcohol fuelled mayhem which surrounds him.

The movie ties up some loose ends posed by the series in a kind of haphazard way, as the self proclaimed “pussay patrol” manage, (somehow), to win the respect of a surprisingly respectable set of girls, and are forced into reforming some of their prejudices along the way. What is surprising and refreshing about this addition to the series, is that the boys often demonstrate a tenderness to each other which is almost touching, until of course someone either vomits, wields that hideous word ‘clunge’, or demonstrates their social ineptitude in a manner which leaves the audience visibly cringing. All in all a fitting end to an immensely popular tv-series; and one which sacrifices none of its integrity in the transition to the big screen. Incredibly enjoyable.

1. 17 May ’13 at 1:39 pm

petunia bambleroot

I hated this movie as it made my lovelr

2. 17 May ’13 at 1:40 pm

petunia bambleroot

i mean it made my lovelr smegle vomit

3. stop watching this filth Petunia!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. 17 May ’13 at 1:41 pm

petunia bambleroot

shutup mother! stop being embarassing its hard enough being a hobbit!

5. umm what is a minge?

6. NEVER YOU MIND. PERVERT.

7. 17 May ’13 at 1:43 pm

YOUR PERSONAL GRIMM REAPER

HEYYYYYY, IVE GIVEN UP REAPING PLUS I FOU ND A TURNIP IN A FIELD

8. 17 May ’13 at 1:44 pm

mr P. I. Staker

It better not have been my turnip!!!!! have you seen my swan?

9. 17 May ’13 at 1:45 pm

Nicholas Angel

P.I.Staker- piss taker!!!!