YUSU severs ties with Fibbers

Photo credit: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo credit: Justyn Hardcastle

Fibbers has been dropped as an official YUSU affiliated nighclub, it was announced today.

Whilst Salvation, Tokyo and Vodka revolution remain on the official club night timetable, the decision to axe Fibbers leaves York students with only 3 official YUSU nights every week.

The benefits of YUSU affiliation include cheaper, and often exclusive, entry for University of York students, as well as economical drinks deals and specially themed events.

Despite being brought under new management last year, and undergoing a subsequent £250,000 renovation, Fibbers failed to draw the same large student crowds as other nightclubs. Nonetheless, their self-termed ‘alternative’ Mondays, which included indie and dubstep nights, added what one third year student termed “a welcome bit of variation to the otherwise pretty dry music scene of York. It wasn’t great, but at least it was something different.”

Fibbers is now shut on Mondays, available only for private hire.

In a statement, Tim Ellis, YUSU President, said: “This year we have based the new lineup on the success of last year and on your feedback that was collected in the Summer Term”, adding they aimed to “make sure we are providing you with the best nights possible.”

All three clubs now on the timetable are relatively new to the York scene. Salvation, which only became a YUSU affiliated nightclub last year and remains one of the most popular student clubs, will continue to occupy Tuesday night. Tokyo, which also underwent a revamp, having previously been known as Tru, will continue as the official club night for Thursday, and the prominent spot of Sunday night will again be held by the newly expanded Vodka Revolution.

With past precedent indicating high student attendance on all these nights, they are an almost risk-free investment for the Students’ Union.

Before last year, Gallery remained the official student night on Thursday, until a professional dispute lead to a severing of the deal. However, the club was so popular that some colleges continued to hold events and bar crawls in the venue last year, and many may be disappointed that it has not re-appeared on the official YUSU timetable.

Fibbers still remains the official York St John indie clubnight on a Thursday.

1. Think you have it the wrong way round there Nouse…!

2. Fibbers isn’t comparable with Gallery, Salvation, Vodka Revs, Tokyo or even Willow – it’s a completely different scene and is more comparable with the Duchess. Great place to go if you like what’s on, and definitely different, but was always going to be an oddball on the line-up.