Liverpool John Moores cricketers win cup final to end York’s run

The men’s cricket firsts’ fine cup run came to an end on a balmy Monday on the 22 Acres as Liverpool John Moores won by 5 wickets to win the BUCS Northern Conference Cup final

LIVERPOOL JOHN MOORES 151-5 BEAT UNIVERSITY OF YORK 147 ALL OUT BY 5 WICKETS

Images: Peter Iveson, Philippa Grafton & The Nouse Sport Team

The men’s cricket firsts’ cup run came to an end today as they went down by five wickets to Liverpool John Moores university.

Having won the toss captain James Oldham opted to bat first on a swelteringly hot day but his side were soon in a spot of bother as both openers, Fraser Crawford and Alex McDonald, found themselves back in the hutch with the score on only 16.

Joel Hughes, the hero in the semi-final, set about building a platform for his side with Roses centurion Andy Kirkwood but when he drove straight to mid-on York were reeling at 39-3.

The onus was then on Kirkwood and new batsman Nick Townson but Kirkwood edged behind and departed for 8 leaving the re-building to Townson and captain Oldham.

The two did their best to revive the White Rose’s innings but the introduction of spin into the attack suffocated the side and the innings collapsed from 92-4 to 147 all out. The first to go was Oldham, bowled for 32.

Townson clipped straight to mid-wicket to exit the arena for 21 before Memon and new batsman Ben Cooke had a mix-up that saw the former run out. At 115-7 it was desperate for York, especially having opted to bat first.

The tail refused to go down without a fight, with the last four wickets adding 49 runs, but nobody was able to make the big score the situation warranted. Cooke and Felgate both perished in the search for runs before an entertaining Charlie Alsop cameo, belying his number 11 status, saw a lovely six struck over the bowler’s head. Alsop was dismissed for 12 however and York’s total of 147 seemed on the light side.

This proved to be true as the Liverpool John Moores batsmen made light work of the target set for them, knocking the runs off with overs to spare, despite the best efforts of the York attack.

The vistitors’ openers Tom Smithson and Robbie Lambert proceeded serenely before two wickets from Oldham reminded them there was a game on. Lambert went first, trapped in front, before Smithson edged to Alsop in the gully.

Unlike their own innings however the York bowlers were able only to take wickets in pairs and not clusters, meaning Liverpool were always able to recover from the loss of a batsman whereas York never seemed to have a batsman set at the crease for long enough to make a difference.

That difference was exemplified by the innings of Liverpool’s Paul Farrar, coming in with the score at 34-2 he did nothing flashy but left with a nicely constructed 54 and his side much nearer to victory. His dismissal prompted brief excitement, especially with Arif Asif having his stumps dismantled for 3 so soon after, but Chris Kirkby and Hamish Dunlop saw their side over the line to secure the trophy.

York captain James Oldham stressed that on another day it could have been them tasting victory but today things just didn’t quite go their way: “I thought we had the side to win it but we just didn’t get enough runs. We put up a good fight at the end but, maybe if a few decisions had gone our way we could have got a few more wickets, put them under a bit more pressure, but we just didn’t have enough runs.”

Oldham’s side have nevertheless enjoyed a fine season, with today’s loss being their only defeat of the season in a campaign which has seen them top the league and fall narrowly short of cup success.

Cricket 1sts v LJMU final - York batting

Cricket 1sts v LJMU - Final. LMJU Bowling

LJMU Batting2

Men's cricket 1sts v LJMU - Final. York bowling

1. FANTASTIC NEWS!
    Well done boys, and future English cricket team members.
    Greetings from Ingrid and Paul, very proud aunt and friend of Hamish Dunlop.