York falls in Times University table

York has fallen two places in the Times Good University guide, dropping out of the top ten. The survey, released this week, ranked the University of York eleventh in the country.

The survey lists 116 institutions across the country. Its results are based on eight categories; including the views of recent graduates, leading academics verdicts on the quality of research, and the success rates of graduates in the employment market.

The department of Nursing was ranked second. The departments of Chemistry, Social Work, History of Art, English and Archaeology were ranked seventh in the country.

The top three universities (according to the guide) were Oxford, Cambridge and the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Despite dropping places, overall student satisfaction was at 82, more than both LSE and Imperial College London, which gained 74 and 77 respectively. However, graduate employment was low in comparison to other universities. Graduate prospects were calculated to be 68.2, whereas Cambridge boasted a total of 85.5.

Although the levels of student satisfaction were high, this has not been translated through to increased applications. The number of school leavers applying to York fell in the beginning of 2011, despite a 14 per cent rise in 2010. Negating this is the dropout rate of only four per cent, which is among the lowest in the country. York has less than the national average of students from working class homes, in comparison to universities with the same qualification requirements and subjects, however, eight out of ten students were educated in the state system.

A first-year English student said: “my course is brilliant, and at the end of the day it doesn’t matter where we are in the league tables as long as your individual course is good.”

The University has not yet released a comment.

1. 17 Oct ’11 at 10:20 pm

Dom Mckinnon-Green

At least we’re still above the university of Aston, GET IN