University of York to charge £9,000 tuition fees

The University of York will charge £9,000 per year in Undergraduate tuition fees for students from October 2012

Credit: George Lowther

Credit: George Lowther

The University has confirmed that it will charge £9,000 in tuition fees from October 2012, joining the majority of elite universities across the country.

The decision was made by University Council today and will come into force for the beginning of the 2012/13 academic year for new students.

Juliette Thorns, a Linguistics student, commented: “I suppose it makes sense. If York didn’t set the maximum fees like other universities it would send out the wrong message.”

The University has said that it will “introduce a comprehensive package of measures” to try and prevent the higher fee from deterring any prospective students and will invest in enhancing the quality of the teaching and student experience at York.

Brian Cantor, University Vice–Chancellor, stated: “The measures approved today will maintain the University of York as an institution of the highest quality. The University of York is committed to four key objectives – excellence, internationalisation, sustainability and inclusivity.

One second-year History student said that: “I think York had to set it at £9,000 and I was fully expecting it to. Most universities have gone this way as well, so it wasn’t surprising.”

York delayed its decision because of the uncertainty over the government’s white paper on Higher Education; however it had been expected that the University would join similar institutions and charge the full amount.

So far all universities in the 1994 group, of which York is a member, have declared they will be charging the top fees and everyone but LSE in the Russell Group will be making students pay £9,000.

Cantor added that: “We shall continue to invest in providing the best possible experience for our students. We will ensure that York continues to attract and support students from a diverse range of backgrounds and that anyone who has the ability to benefit from a York education can do so regardless of their financial circumstances.”

The University and College Union (UCU) have estimated that the amount required to maintain current levels of resource at the University is only £6,360 which means that there will be an anticipated windfall of between £25 and 30million extra to spend.

As a consequence, York Sport membership is becoming free and ideas to increase value for money include: making all printing on campus free; giving all books required for their course for free; and even being given a laptop free of charge for prospective students.

1. The majority of elite universities across the country? More like the vast majority of universities across the country. Also, slight grammar error: “One second-year History students” should obviously not be plural.

But yeah, this was fully expected.

2. I do think the level of debt incurred (much of which won’t ever be paid back) will dissuade a lot of academically able people from studying at York, which is obviously a shame. Also, I don’t really get the idea of giving prospective students a free laptop. Surely if there’s money for that, it could just be knocked off the fees, and students can decide whether they want to spend the savings on a laptop (they might already have one) or not.

3. Oh and who loves the title of the news post on the University of York website announcing the fees? “University of York committed to quality and inclusiveness”.

4. Well I’m delighted to know that Linguistics student Juliette Thorns thinks it’s ok. For a moment there I was starting to think that shifting the finance of higher education onto students was a bad idea, but now I know that the nearest student walking past the Nouse headquarters thinks it’s a good idea, I’ve completely changed my tune.

5. Dan – whenever you see a news report on TV in which a stranger of some kind is filmed being asked for their opinion on a national issue, do you respond by sending the broadcaster some sarcastic remarks about what are fairly standard conventions of journalism? I’m actually quite glad that an article was published about this because if York’s local media don’t circulate the story, then who will?

6. 25 Jun ’11 at 3:14 pm

Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan

Will,

inserting vox pops into a news report may be a standard convention, but that doesn’t automatically make it a good one – especially if they only reflect one side of the story (as is the case above).

7. Will Peel – I don’t think it adds anything to the quality of a story to pick people off the street at random and ask them for their opinion, whether it’s done by a student newspaper or a national broadcaster. What does this student’s opinion have to do with the decision being made? Is there any reason to suspect that her opinion is any more valid or informed than anyone else’s? That isn’t to say that she isn’t entitled to her opinion, but why include it in the story if she doesn’t have any special relevance to the issue?

8. @ davy, it’s chepaer for them to bulk buy laptops (which would retail in say, curry’s, at £400) for £70 a piece and fob them off to students than it is for them to give the £400 discount in tuition fees. it’s a false economy.

9. 26 Jun ’11 at 2:17 am

Your Average Poor Student

Thank goodness!

Personally, I think this is fantastic news. If York did not charge the full whack, it would be offering a cheaper alternative to most other universitys. I mean, even Hull are charging 9K; York don’t want to appear worse than them.

Now obviously I would rather they didn’t charge the full amount, and I feel sorry for the 2012 freshers, but York would only drop further down the league tables otherwise. And since I’m just about to graduate, that isn’t something I want…

10. 26 Jun ’11 at 1:22 pm

Dominic Mantle

Very interesting last couple of paragraphs, which raise the question why has York now set fees at £9,000 when they evidently aren’t needed? Making printing free of charge isn’t going to reimburse students the extra £2,600 a year, even if it is already overpriced. I have a good idea where the extra £25 million is going to go – a gold plated hot tub for Hes Hall with 1 or 2 study spaces, or some other vanity project. I think we all need to remember the fact that Universities UK – the Vice-Chancellors’ organisation of which Mr Cantor is a part (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11833545) – supported the cap being set at £9,000 and was criticised for not pushing for alternative options from the government. I feel very sorry for everyone who will be paying £9,000 next year.

11. 26 Jun ’11 at 3:00 pm

More Average Than Thou

@ Your Average Poor Student.

“Fantastic news”? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. And ha.

You wouldn’t have wanted York “offering a cheaper alternative”?

Quite right. The very thought of such a thing doth make me shiver.

12. I think this is just appalling; I really don’t see how students at York can say they are happy and pleased with the fact that York has now decided to agree with the horrid government’s plans of increasing fees up to £9,000 per year. Just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s superior or any better to anywhere else; especially with regard to the “hull university” comment. I’m a medical student and am registered with both Hull and York Universities and to be perfectly honest there’s really no difference between the two that I can see. It’s just snobbishness; if the London School of Economics can keep their fees at £3,000 then I don’t see why people should fear that York is going to be seen as inferior in any way if they don’t too.

And as for the inclusiveness thingymajig that’s ludicrous, it sounds like something Nick Clegg would say really…..it’s not inclusive, it’s the exact opposite; how do intelligent people think that charging more and more and more for education, which in my opinion should be people’s right, can be labelled inclusive? Students from poor backgrounds will suffer and I think if York had anything about them they would have stood their ground on a more moral principle.

And finally, after this rant which has relived some revision stress!!! I don’t think a few textbooks and what will probably be a really bad quality laptop computer has ever cost £6,000??!!!!

13. 27 Jun ’11 at 1:12 am

Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan

Nice trolling, “Your Average Poor Student”.

14. :) – LSE will charge £8,500, not £3000. So less than York but still a massive amount.

Bad news for the students, good news for the managerial menagerie.
    You’ve got to love the doublethink in the email – ‘inclusive’ yet charging £9,000, which is the current amount almost tripled?