Future Sounds: Thundercat

Thundercat

Thundercat

As careers go, LA native Stephen Bruner has had a more varied one than most: he’s been a touring session musician for Snoop Dogg and Eric Benet, had a stint in boy band No Curfew (apparently a hit in Germany), and played with hardcore legends Suicidal Tendencies (technically he still is a member). Most recently, Bruner, who records by the name Thundercat, contributed bass and vocals to Flying Lotus’ space-funk masterwork Cosmogramma, released last year.

Flying Lotus is returning the favour by producing (and releasing on his Brainfeeder label), Thundercat’s debut solo album, entitled The Golden Age of Apocalypse. So far Thundercat has put out a couple of the album’s tracks, a George Duke cover, “For Love I Come” is a late-night astral ballad similar to “MmmHmm” from Cosmogramma. Thundercat and FlyLo complement each other seamlessly with silky-smooth vocals and bass noodling by Bruner himself, backed by minutiae details of sparkling piano, spacey reverb and delicate bleeps of synth. Another track, “Daylight” awakens the funkier side of Thundercat, in which Bruner croons in and around offbeat synth-brass and the weird percussion of FlyLo’s interstellar orchestra. Thundercat’s mesmerising and long overdue solo album is due for release next month.