Welfare software to cost £20,000

The University is set to spend £20,000 on an interactive mental health training programme for staff and students.

The training programme is being bought from the United States with the vast majority of the money allocated for buying two site licenses for the University. Although this will be reduced by 40 per cent in the second and third years, there is also an upfront cost of developing the programme to be related to York, showing a substantial financial commitment to a yet untested programme.

“It is quite a large expenditure to spend on a computer programme”, said fourth year student Becky Weldon. “Shouldn’t the money be spent on more face-to face welfare training which would probably be much more effective?”

Jane Grenville, Pro-Vice Chancellor for Students, stated: “There will be one for staff and one for students and it will be mandatory for some people, those in welfare positions in the colleges, but it will be available for all,” adding that, “we’ll make it available free of charge to all students.”

Laura Bo, YUSU Welfare Officer, commented: “The benefits that will come out of this will introduce a saving in time and resources elsewhere in student support and mean more individuals will not slip through the net.”