The Nouse Sports Awards 2011

As this year comes to an end we recognise those who have shone in the black and gold; everyone has impressed but some deserve a special mention

Photos: Peter Iveson & Justyn Hardcastle

SPORTS TEAM OF THE YEAR
Women’s Basketball Firsts

While many teams have enjoyed successful campaigns there has been one team that as stood out with a record of near perfection amidst the sporting excellence provided by York Sport societies this year.

The women’s basketball team won BUCS Northern League 3B in style, playing and winning eight fixtures on the way to a perfect season and securing promotion in the process.

A Roses triumph was another welcome success for a team that were simply unstoppable and it was their points that pushed York over the threshold which regained them the Carter-James trophy, a fitting testament to their brilliance and commitment over the course of the season.

Whilst other teams have been mired in controversy off the field and some have under performed on it the women’s basketball team have shown how it’s done. Under the eye of captain Lydie Mariutto they have gone from strength to strength and turned in perhaps the most impressive campaign of any team at the University.

“A sublime first two quarters set the women’s basketball on their way to clinching the Carter-James Trophy for York and capped-off an already wonderful season for the recently promoted side“ >> DAVID AMBROZEJCZYK – YORK 45 – 39 LANCASTER

Commendations: Men’s cricket firsts, men’s table tennis firsts, women’s badminton firsts, men’s lacrosse firsts, women’s hockey firsts, men’s darts firsts

SPORTS PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR
Andy Kirkwood

You just can’t ignore a Roses centurion. With York up against it in Friday’s other sports Kirkwood strode out with his own side struggling at 63-4 and returned smiling with four points for the White Rose in the bag. His innings helped York to regain some crucial momentum and began to turn the tide in the home side’s favour as Friday ended and Saturday began.

Kirkwood has enjoyed a good season away from Roses as well, in which he won the Ernst and Young Trophy for performance of the weekend, helping his side to the BUCS Cup final and a first placed finish in the league. It could get even better for him and his teammates if they are able to overcome the hurdle of Liverpool John Moores University in the aforementioned cup final next week.

The occasional wicket-keeper gave an interview afterwards in which he stressed how important it was to deliver under pressure for his side, something he did superbly well to seal the win for his team.

“In the 45th over Kirkwood sealed both a century and victory for his side and gained a precious four points for York in what had been Lancaster’s day before his heroics.” >> Henry Strong – York 238-5 BEAT LANCASTER 237-9

Commendations: Tom Weir, Nick Hall, Laura Pepper, Mike Walsh, Lydie Mariutto, Jenny Eyes

PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR
Men’s Rugby Firsts

Whilst there have undoubtedly been many superb performances from York’s sporting students this year few would have been able to match the drama and jubilation of the men’s rugby firsts’ 41-38 victory over the University of Leeds men’s seconds.

With just thirty minutes left on the clock York were facing the prospect of losing their long-held unbeaten record in the league on Fortress 22 Acres; 33-10 down and defending a constant stream of Leeds attacks there looked no way back but Tom Weir’s men fought back to seal an unlikely victory.

Tries from captain Weir, James Bennett, Gabriel Adebiyi and Pete Tarrega brought the hosts back to 38-38 and Fly-Half James Mortimer knocked over the decisive penalty to prompt the White Rose celebrations.

The celebrations at the end said it all, it meant an awful lot.

“It was absolutely awful rugby but the bottle and temperament we had was phenomenal…we played awfully for 70 minutes and then in two five minute patches we somehow managed to win the game“ >> TOM WEIR – York 41 – 38 LEEDS SECONDS

Commendations: Men’s darts UDUK win, men’s lacrosse cup win, men’s cricket firsts’ semi-final win, women’s basketball firsts’ Roses win, YUsnow Roses performance, Rowing Roses performance

1. While I am sure these guys are all worthy winners for their respective categories I was just curious (although slightly biased as a member of the club) why the swimming and water polo club has not got a mention despite getting the most nominations of any club for the york sport awards this year?