ISA to help internationalise campus

The International Students’ Association (ISA) will be launching its Global Initiative Fund this week to provide support to students or societies who would like “to embark on a project that would internationalise the campus”

The International Students’ Association (ISA) will be launching its Global Initiative Fund this week to provide support to students or societies who would like “to embark on a project that would internationalise the campus.”

The ISA will have £4,000 to allocate per term, providing grants ranging from £50 to £500 to support student-led cultural activities that celebrate diversity and promote integration.

Potential activities might include cultural appreciation events, or volunteering based projects. Project durations may be between a couple of days or over several months.

The ISA hope that these will forge partnerships with other societies and student groups both on campus, and the wider community in York.

Applicants must fill in a form detailing the potential project and its sustainability, before giving a six minute presentation to the Application Committee, which includes a selection of ISA Committee members.

Facilitating conversations on global issues within the student community is an important part of the Fund’s purpose, as the ISA hope to appeal to home students to apply for grants.

Leslie Tay, ISA President and YUSU International Officer, wished to improve the association by making the “ISA more accountable and transparent on how it allocates fund for student-supported activities.”

After seeing similar initiatives in place at across the country in Warwick and Edinburgh Students’ Unions, Tay introduced the idea to the ISA Committee, working closely with ISA Treasurer, Andy Jeongho Park.

Tay hopes this to be “a more systematic and structured way for the ISA to allocate funds.”

The ISA will be financially supporting the Fund. However, Tay hopes that if successful, the ISA might try to acquire an external sponsor.

The ISA Committee are currently compiling useful information for successful applicants to aid their projects.

The Committee hope that in conjunction with the University, they will be able to present an award for the best projects, at the end of the next academic year.