Halifax pip Derwent to the post on College Sports Day

Images: Philippa Grafton

On another highly successful inter-college sports day, Halifax again flexed their sporting muscle by besting their collegiate rivals. However, their score of 69 was run close by a strong performance from Derwent, who missed out on victory by one point.

The day consisted of numerous athletes from York’s colleges competing in a variety of track and field events, as well as a somewhat eclectic mix of miscellaneous sports, ranging from tug-of-war to Ultimate Frisbee. The festivities began with the finals of the middle distance races, with Frances Ryan notching up the first points of the day, winning for Goodricke with an extremely convincing performance of 6.08 minutes in the 1500 metres.

This was followed by Will Steven providing a Goodricke double with victory in the men’s event, who also earned another win in the 3000m. The women’s 800m was won by Selina Wolke of James, whilst the men’s 800m was won by Halifax’s Andrew Wallace in what was undoubtedly the performance of the day. Approaching the start of the second lap, Wallace found incredible reserves of speed, powering to victory in 2.08 minutes, with his rivals left trailing in his wake.

The highly anticipated men’s 100m was won in some style by Halifax’s Rishi Naidoo, winning with a time of 12.26, whilst his nearest rival Tom Byrne finished in 12.56 . The women’s event was won by Hannah Roper of Goodricke, clocking a time of 14.26 seconds.

Ryan Drummond of James won by a considerable distance in the Men’s 400m, whilst Derwent’s Olivia Ward put in a time of 1.16 minutes to win. This was the first of two triumphs for Ward, who also won the women’s long jump with a leap of 4.01m.

In the men’s event, Aaron Rolph destroyed the competition, catapulting himself to victory with a jump of 5.69m. Continuing to build his reputation as a fantastic multi-eventer, Rolph also won the men’s 200m with a time of 23.70, another win to place alongside his shot-put success last year. James’s Alenja von Winterfeld won the women’s event. Halifax and James triumphed in the male and female 4x 100m respectively, whilst Halifax also won the 4x400m. Langwith’s sole win on the day was achieved by Rupert Grant in the shot-put, with Vanbrugh’s Abi Barber winning the women’s.

Hayley Badger and Oscar Wimshurst triumphed in the intense and vaguely hallucinogenic women’s and men’s 800m powerwalk. In the team events, Alcuin beat all-comers to retain their success in the tug of war, but only managed to finish third in the Ultimate Frisbee, with Derwent winning the mini-league to earn the points.

After the church fete nostalgia of the three-legged race, the leader board was locked upon the completion of the volleyball, with a strong Halifax side gaining victory, and confirming their place at the top of York’s sporting hierarchy.

Standings
Halifax 69
Derwent 65 ½
James 53
Alcuin 37
Goodricke 36 ½
Vanbrugh 27 ½
Langwith 12
Wentworth 0