Karin Diaconu elected GSA President

Credit: GSA

Credit: GSA

Karin Diaconu has been elected as the new President of the Graduate Student Association (GSA) after comfortably beating Luke Malkin.

Diaconu won 56 per cent of the vote to overcome Malkin who received only 23 per cent and will take over from John Calhoun for the next academic year.

She pledged in her manifesto to develop the pre-arrival information available to students by “collaborating with the University to introduce a virtual open day” and wants to strength the ties between the University and the postgraduate population.

Diaconu said she was, “incredibly excited about having won the elections and I am really thankful to all the people who voted for me” adding that when she officially starts her role: “An issue I wish to personally focus on regards the employability of postgraduates. I have promised in my campaign to arrange for more academic and professional networking events and through cooperation with the Alumni Relations Office I plan to deliver on that promise as soon as possible.”

The post of GSA Academic Affairs Officer went Beatrice Akua-Sakyiwah who was unopposed and the position of Services Officer, also not contested, was won by Oloyede Abdulkarim.

Ryan Hanley beat Charlotte Phillips, who previously held the position of YUSU Women’s Officer, to the role of Welfare Officer while Karisha George was elected as the Finance Officer.

The GSA Student Trustees will be Heather Rowley, Richard Rhodes and Robin Jervis next year.

1. Classic Nouse spelling there… Different in places too.

I wonder if this gets moderated…..

2. smooth editorial change there