University to increase overseas student intake

The number of overseas students attending York will increase by 13.4 per cent over the next four years which will see the proportion of international students as a percentage of the student body rise.

Overseas students already make up 17 per cent of the student population at York, with students from the EU accounting for nearly 6 per cent and the rest being Home students. There is also a projected increase of 8.4 per cent in the number of Home students in the next four years according to the University.

Although the University receives higher fees from international students, York has insisted that this is more to do with internationalisation rather than a boost to their income.

David Garner, the University Press Officer, stated that: “Internationalisation is one of four strategic objectives of the University Plan, and increasing the number of overseas students reflects that.”

Since 2005 the proportion of overseas students at York has increased by three per cent while the number of Home students has decreased by four per cent over the same period.

Students coming from outside the EU are charged a variable fee which is a lot higher than the standard home tuition fee due to no official cap being in place. The amount can be anywhere over £10,000.

The average overseas student fee this year nationwide was a considerable amount higher than current home level tuition fees at £11,435.

The government has said it plans to tighten the restrictions on student visas for overseas students in the near future. However despite this, York is still looking to increase its international student population.

Garner added that: “Our continued success as an institution depends on recruiting the best students and staff worldwide, delivering world‐leading research and providing an excellent environment in which students can learn.”

Other universities are drastically increasing their intake of international students with Durham increasing this by 97 per cent over the next five years; however, the proportion of overseas students at Durham is currently only nine per cent which is eight per cent lower than at York this year.

Tim Ngwena, YUSU President, said: “As the university expands, it’s crucial that it maintains the current mix of home, overseas and EU students. Having a diverse international community is an important part of the educational and social experience here at York.”