Summer events are a credit to the University

With the end of exams nearly upon us, people are beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel in the form of hot, lazy days lying in the garden, and drunken, exciting nights at the end of term events. Those freshers with STYCs or house parents in the know will have perhaps heard that third term can be pricey. Because with nothing else to do except party and enjoy the, hopefully warm, weather, weeks eight, nine and ten are packed full of events – but how to choose which one?

As a fresh eyed first-year the line up can be somewhat daunting. There are the individual college formals, ranging from standard sit down meals to the notorious heights of Big D, then there are society socials and finally YUSU’s summer ball extravaganza. Besides the day time events of Woodstock and York Carnival, there is plenty to choose from.

missing one or more of the summer shenanigans may be sadly inevitable

As student budgets can be tight at the best of times, and as many of the events are at minimum £20, missing one or more of the summer shenanigans may be sadly inevitable, and financially unavoidable. This means the decision as to what events to embrace or avoid is one to be carefully pondered.

But perhaps, with a little research a decision is easier to come by than we realise. Reports reaching our ears suggest that the YUSU ball may be aimed more towards graduates. And the YUSU events reputation is still suffering from fiascos such as the fresher’s week Big Bang and the repeated disappearance of the main act at previous balls. Although they are providing such delights as a pianist, free candyfloss and a fun fair, it might still be safer to stick closer to home with college based events where the attendance (of bands as well as guests) is more reliable.

Although a member of James College, Derwent seems to have provided the best party offering in the form of Big D. A combination of last years success stories, student word of mouth and the fact Derwent events publicity is almost impossible to avoid, has resulted in Big D tickets “flying” off the YUSU online shop shelf. Where number of heads equates to a successful event it is clear that this will not be a waste of money and may be the reason so many people have already opted for the “party college’s” summer event. So, in the end it wasn’t too hard to pick Big D.

Despite the difficulty in deciding on my event of choice, the diversity and breadth across York’s summer calendar is something that fundamentally should be celebrated.

It is a credit to our University and a reward for working hard all year. Although the YUSU ball remains a tempting reward on the horizon of graduation, the college and society events seem much more grounded with their promise of a good night for all.