Global Focus

The Nouse Politics team summarises the biggest stories from around the world

[mapmaker]

[mmplace location=”HAITI”]
American Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has given her backing for new Haitian President, Michel ‘Sweet Mickey’ Martelly, to lead the country out of humanitarian crisis. Martelly, a former pop star, has aimed to rid the island of cholera.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”ITALY”]
Pope Benedict XVI has shut down a monastery in Rome because of a lack of financial and moral discipline. It is alleged that the monastery’s abbot, a Milan fashion designer, opened a hotel and held regular concerts, including a televised bible-reading marathon. One of the nuns, a former lap dancer, reportedly performed dances during religious ceremonies.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”CHINA”]
Need a room? Lodging Econometrics declared that China has the largest number of hotel construction projects underway than any country. Its 1,182 projects currently dwarf all those of European countries combined. Only 10 per cent of the developments represent the ‘economy’ class.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”AMERICA”]
The Crystal Cathedral in Orange County has announced its bankruptcy and declared that it owed its creditors over $50 million. The church has failed to garner the kind of support one would expect from the God-fearing, but it has also been subject to the corruption of its officers, who treated themselves to generous pay and tax write-offs. Cathedral officials are now selling the complex in an effort to pay back its lenders.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”ARGENTINA”]
A recent report found that 18 per cent of Argentinians are medically obese. A National Survey of Risk Factors for obesity found that the amount of people working in sedentary jobs had increased from 46.2 per cent in 2005 to 54.9 per cent in 2009. Currently the country seems to be closing the gap between itself and America, where 32 per cent of the population are clinically obese.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”ZAMBIA”]
Between April and May 2011, inflation rates increased from 8.8 to 8.9 per cent in the country. The acting director of the Central Statistical Office, John Kalumbi, declared that rising food prices were the major source of the country’s increased inflation. While there had not been a significant drop in the quantity of exports exiting the country, the value of those exports had fallen. [/mmplace]