“Fish Pie Mix” (from any supermarket – I find you need two)
1 or 2 fish pie mix boxes
For the mash:
4 large potatoes – peeled and chopped into chunks
A pinch of salt
Butter/cream to make it really yummy
For the parsley sauce:
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp butter
2 mugs of milk (you may need more for a larger pie, obviously)
Parsley – about a handful, chopped
Salt and pepper for seasoning
You can easily prepare it beforehand, and then lob it in the oven to cook – it’s worth it, it tastes so much better than microwavable ones! Two boxes give you a substantial amount of filling for your pie. Also, be creative: feel free to pick and mix: add mackerel, prawns or whatever you fancy.
1. Preheat the oven to 200-220C.
2. Boil the potatoes with the salt for about 20 minutes until soft. Put a knife in to check they are ready. Drain and set aside.
3. While the potatoes are boiling, make the parsley sauce: melt the spoonful of butter in a pan, then adding the flour. Mix until blended, then gradually start to add the milk, keeping on a medium heat. You MUST stir this continually, otherwise the milk will burn and you’ll ruin your sauce. It should gradually start to thicken – be patient, it’ll be worth it! Add the parsley and grate some nutmeg into the mix. Keep stirring. When the sauce is suitably thick, turn off the heat.
4. Mash the potatoes, adding 1tbsp of butter or cream to make it luxuriously smooth. Season generously with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
5. Place the fish mix at the bottom of an oven proof dish. (The high quality ones are expensive, but you can usually get some good oven dishes from supermarkets or even charity shops!) Pour the parsley sauce over it, then the mash on top. Add butter if you want it to be really delicious and aren’t in the mood to care for your waistband. Yum.
6. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, checking from half an hour to make sure the mash isn’t burning. Change the temperature accordingly.
7. Serve with peas, or a spinach salad.
5 carrots (peeled & chopped)
1 tbsp honey
45g unsalted butter
1 small bunch of thyme
Sea salt and black pepper
Place carrots in a pan. Cover with water.
Add honey, thyme, butter and salt.
Cook on medium heat for 2 mins
Bring to just under the boil until carrots are tender.