Third team play their part for the Rugby club by beating resolute Lancaster outfit


Images by: Philippa Grafton

The University of York took on a dogged Lancaster side in difficult conditions and came out on top, winning 17-6.

The wind swirled around 22 acres, making kicking a challenging prospect for both teams. Despite the inclement conditions supporters of both teams were out in force. Fans of the home team sporting rugby attire on the bottom and tuxedos at the top, in sharp contrast to the red army from Lancaster, who had completed their luck by dying their hair peroxide blond.

When play got under way it was Lancaster who started the brightest and following ill-disciplined play from York a penalty opportunity presented itself in front of the posts from around thirty yards out. The visitors converted the opportunity to make it 3-0 with only three minutes gone. The bright Lancaster start was in direct contrast to York, whose encouraging openings were all too often hindered by silly mistakes in the midfield.

As the half progressed York gained parity in many areas of the play, and began to disrupt the Lancaster set piece, giving them their first penalty opportunity on the ten minute mark. Muntus converted a difficult chance from the left wing to equalise the scores.

Such was the case for much of the first half until those niggling errors crept in again to give the Lancaster kicker another opportunity at the posts. His faultless place-kicking continued to leave the scores 6-3 to Lancaster at half time.

York upped the intensity after half time and the superior fitness was evident for all to see. No more so than when a serious of lazy tackles allowed Alex Muntus to break through the defence and finish under the posts from thirty yards out. Muntus also converted to allow York to take the lead for the first time at 10-6.

Fearing defeat the peroxide warriors from Lancaster piled on the pressure, but it was to no avail as York resisted their advances and following an excellent, if somewhat unlikely combination between the second rows, Harry Pamiglione scored York’s second try, which following a successful conversion put the game beyond doubt at 17-6.

Speaking after the game UYRUFC captain Tom Weir congratulated the thirds team ‘for sticking in there’, paying particular attention to their ‘composure under pressure, in a touch and go game.’


  1. 16 May ’11 at 12:32 pm

    Avid UYRUFC fan

    Where’s the 2nds match report?!!

    Reply Report

  2. @Avid UYRUFC fan

    Since Roses, Jake and I (Sports Editors) have both fallen ill. I have about twenty articles waiting to go up. Hoping to do them today.

    Reply Report

Reply to Avid UYRUFC fan

Cancel reply

Please note our disclaimer relating to comments submitted. Please do not post pretending to be another person. Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.