Patience the key for Goodricke firsts as they squeeze past Langwith

GOODRICKE FIRSTS 1- 0 LANGWITH FIRSTS

Images: Philippa Grafton

A goal from Goodricke substitute Luke Inness was the only thing that separated these two teams in what resembled a battle of attrition on a blustery JLD pitch.

It was the boys in green who looked the hungriest to score from the off. Sam Lewis got his head onto a Niall Walsh throw that was duly assisted by the whipping wind but he failed to find the target. Ben Smith had an even better opportunity minutes later when he pounced on a free ball that Langwith goalkeeper Tom Lambert should have collected. Smith skipped past Lambert but, with a clear path to the net, somehow put it wide.

The focus of play remained in Goodricke’s favour and were it not for the referee disallowing Jon Sharpe’s goal they would have taken the lead. As it was Langwith were let off the hook and duly attacked. The ever-dangerous Bruce Starkey managed to fire off a fine left-foot effort but it was sent just wide of the right post.

The action reached a bit of a lull after this as the Langwith backline did a decent job of preventing ahutting Goodricke down. A long range Rob Shanley shot was blocked and the ball fell to captain Lewis but his effort lacked sufficient bend to find the target. 0-0 at half time.

Play in the second half didn’t represent a drastic change from the mediocre first. Again a long Niall Walsh throw was met by Lewis but again his header went over. James Gutteridge found a lot of room for himself down the left for Goodricke but play was concentrated more on the right where Jon Sharpe looked to assert himself. Both were denied, however, by the efforts of Luke Gardener and Matt Wilcox at the back for Langwith.

As it has been for much of this year’s College Cup it started to look like any hope of a goal was going to come from a set piece. Goodricke had two good opportunities but Lewis put his wide from the left and Smith’s flew into Lambert’s hands. After a spell of constant pressure Goodricke drew another free kick after a foul on Lewis. Smith sent the ball in and, with the ball staying in the box after one touch, Luke Inness met it with his head and sent it past Lambert to give Goodricke the lead.

Langwith never really looked like changing the scoreline and a last-minute Liam Condron free kick was cleared with ease. The final whistle blew with Goodricke 1-0 up.

Langwith skipper Andy Hutt was left “disappointed” as he felt his team “dealt with the Goodricke threat quite well”. Goodricke captain Sam Lewis conceded that there was “not a lot of time and space” to manoeuvre but praised his team’s patience: “We didn’t give up and I can’t say enough good things about the way we played”.

Langwith firsts: Tom Lambert, Luke Gardener, Laurence Chetwynd, Liam Condron, Matt Wilcox, Luke Holbrook (Duncan Sills), Andy Hutt (Jack Donovan), Callum Sheridan, Patrick Khosravi, Cameron Craig, Bruce Starkey

Man of the Match: Cameron Craig

Goodricke firsts: Ed Foster, Niall Walsh, Stu Dunk, Sam Astbury, Danny Munro, Nick Dheir (Luke Inness), Rob Shanley, Jon Sharpe, Sam Lewis, James Gutteridge (Adam Botterill), Ben Smith

Man of the Match: Rob Shanley

1. Just for the record, Niall Walsh doesn’t assistance from whipping winds! He is an animal at throw ins!

2. Patience is the key for making your way through this terrible article.

WOO!

3. Their isn’t much more the lad could say- two terrible teams playing out an even worse game of football.

4. We seemed okay when we won all our games in the Autumn term ;)