Cricket firsts hit the ground running with crushing victory over Northumbria

Wicket-keeper Andy Kirkwood celebrates the dismissal of Northumbria’s Jonathan Weighill as York eased to a comfortable ten wicket victory. Photo: Peter Iveson

A ruthless knock of 75 by opener Fraser Crawford led York to a resounding victory against Northumbria Second XI, as the hosts made light work of the visitors’ 116.

York’s openers went about demolishing the total in quick time, taking just 12.5 overs to reach the target amidst a flurry of boundaries. Only Greg Jones (59) putting up any resistance for Northumbria.

Crawford hit three sixes and twelve fours in a blistering 33 ball assault on the opposition’s bowling, with fellow opener Alex McDonald ending 33 not out for a convincing York victory.

Northumbria batted first and quickly lost opener Aiden Tate (8), run out by a direct hit from Alex Kirkpatrick at mid-on attempting an ambitious single. Russell Hughes (2) was next to go, with the score on 24 for the visitors, tickling one behind off Will Felgate. Another run out followed, as a moment’s hesitancy from James O’Donnell (3) was swooped on by the cover fielder and Felgate was on hand to whip off the bails with the batsman well short.

The following nine overs went for just nine runs as tight bowling from Joel Hughes and George Richards ground scoring to a halt. Northumbria’s Jack Whittaker (3) took 31 balls to score, before falling a ball later to the impressive spin of Hughes.

The visitors’ opener Jones progressed solidly as partners came and went, moving to 30 at the drinks break, playing excellently all round the wicket in hot conditions on the 22 acres.

Jonathan Weighill’s (9) wicket was the next to fall, caught behind off Richards. Next man in Jason Perry (16) hit a couple of lusty blows but ultimately tested his luck for one shot too many and holing out, leaving the visitors in trouble on 81/6. Jones responded with a succession of boundaries, including a big 6 over midwicket to take Northumbria past 100 and reach his half-century. With plenty of overs still to play, Tom Lawrenson (5) inexplicably attempted to clear the ropes and was bowled by York captain Oldham.

The tail folded meekly as Matt Reid (0), Harry Phillips (0) and James Richards (1) all capitulated, leaving Jones high and dry on 59 not out. Any hopes of an upset were quickly extinguished as Crawford hit the second and third balls of the innings to the boundary as York raced 33/0 off the first four overs.

Crawford and McDonald continued to tuck into Northumbria’s attack, taking twenty off one over as York sped towards their target.

Crawford passed 50 with a shot through the mid-onand the pair continued to score easily, Crawford hitting the winning boundary in the 13th over.

1. 10 May ’11 at 6:22 pm

Zorba the Greek

Andrew Kirkwood is beautiful