Cheerleaders pick up five national awards over successful Easter break

The York Hornets in action during their first place at the BCAs over Easter. Photo credit: York Hornets

The York Hornets had a successful Easter holiday when they claimed first place at the British Cheerleading Association Midlands Classic. The victory backed up other impressive performances that included a runners-up spot at the University Nationals.

First on the schedule was the BCA University Nationals held at Telford International centre where the girls competed in the all-girl senior level two division. The Hornets finished second out of eighteen teams with a grand total of 238.5, fifteen shy of winners Portsmouth Phoenix. Finishing in second place was a marked improvement on last year where they came fifth and shows that diligent practice and hard work is paying off.

Their greatest accomplishment, however, came in the BCA Midlands Classic which is open to all.

Again up against Portsmouth Phoenix, York pulled out a clean routine to take the title – and repeat last year’s triumph – with 257.5 points, this time five ahead of the Portsmouth team.

Number 1: The Hornets celebrate their success and display their trophies. Photo credit: York Hornets

For those unfamiliar, the York Hornets’ performance comprises of stunting – that common scene in all American high school films where a girl known as a ‘flyer’ is thrown into the air to be caught by those below – jumps, dance, a cheer, and ‘tumbling’, a move which incorporates gymnastics.

Scoring is based on ability and enthusiasm in each category and each team is awarded an overall score. On top of all this, the Hornets also introduced a dance squad this year who took first place honours in both competitions. They had a comfortable 13.5 point victory over the Bath Spa Rapids in the University Nationals and stormed to a win over the Chippenham Vibes at the Midlands Classic with a final score of 205.

Just to emphasise the diversity of the University’s cheerleaders they also put their group stunt into competition and they came a respectable fourth to bring home a total of five trophies for the girls.

Head coach Erica Gold was understandably delighted with the achievement. She said “the competition was huge this year. Eighteen university teams in a single category is unheard of. Finishing second was the highest we have ever placed in the competition so I can’t be anymore proud of all the hard work the girls have put in”.

Roll of Honour

University Nationals
1st in Dance
2nd in Cheerleading

BMA Midlands Classic
4th in Stunt
1st in Cheerleading
1st in Dance

Hannah Bottomley, a competition squad flyer, echoed the sentiments of her coach by saying “we’re all really pleased. The pressure was on to place well because of our win last year, but we managed to do even better with more wins and higher scores”. Bottomley and the rest of the squad will head to Newcastle on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th May to take part in the BCA North East classic and hopes are high that they can replicate their successes of the Easter break.

After the North East Classic the girls’ work is not completed as the performance squad will be in action at the Roses opening ceremony, Woodstock, and Big D.

1. Hard work and determination paid off, well done girls :)