‘The’ dress deconstructed

The thing that has topped and tailed conversation since November last year has now been revealed: Sarah Burton designed that dress. gives her analysis of why and how it works

Image: Beacon Radio

Image: Beacon Radio

What shall Catherine Middleton wear to greet the world as a Princess? Sarah Burton is the answer, and McQueen is the label she represents. How very British and what a edgy choice. The dress itself is not a gasping gown, but rather a stunning serene piece full of hidden fashion messages. The lace covers her shoulders to finger tips and the train is the perfect length. It is certainly an appropriate choice.

As she stands next to Prince William in his bold military style suit, there is no doubt as to where your eye is drawn to. We all knew that Kate Middleton was never going to push the garment boat out, however the choice of designer is immaculate. Her strapless gown with a V-neck style sits perfectly across her chest, protruding subtly out just above the hips. The skirting attachment of the gown flows with relaxed pleats and is made from a heavier fabric, avoiding the famous Diana puff ball creases. The slightly sexual element of the garment can be seen in the fitted corset section. The icy lace first embraces the body at the high neck and flows down to the lower waist. In the style of all McQueen garments, each piece has a narrative: in no means is the dress ‘sexy’, but it has subtle elements that firmly locate this Royal Wedding in the 21st century.

Her popularity is worryingly partially judged on her appearance, which does not always work in her favour. Yet there is no doubt that this garment, the long-awaited trademark for this symbolic occasion, will cement its place in fashion history. Bound to influence haute couture and even the high street, we will all be looking a bit more ‘Middleton’. Regardless of the criticisms of this dress being safe, it acts as a beacon of English elegance combined with an understated beauty, a look unexpected by the rest of the world who watch in envy.

1. Nice article keep up the good work :)

2. “Prince William in his bold military style suit”, yes, I’ve heard that military chic is very ‘in’ this season. However, could the military style you describe actually be the uniform of the British Army in which William is a commissioned officer?

“Her popularity is worryingly partially judged on her appearance, which does not always work in her favour.” Syntax and grammar? Or how about scrap the sentence and say something which means something or at least makes sense?

3. “Her popularity is worryingly partially judged on her appearance, which does not always work in her favour.” how can you not get what is being said? Might not be a sentence of perfect structure, but how can you not understand it?

Great article, I remember reading it within hours of the wedding and I liked it then, still like it now.

4. Military chic is not ‘in’ this season, only the cold months.