Top 5 Little Red Riding Hoods

To celebrate the release of a new version of the classic tale, we take a look at our 5 favourite screen Red Riding Hoods

Disney’s Little Red Riding Hood (1922)

Before Snow White and Cinderella, one of Walt Disney’s earliest cartoons was a more minor version of another classic female character. In black and white, only 6 minutes long and completely silent, it was for years thought lost until a print of it was discovered in 1998.

Red Hot Riding Hood (1947)

This was Tex Avery’s cartoon of the fairytale, one of his most famous which parodied and adapted it for the twentieth century long before anyone else. In it, Red became a nightclub dancer, inspiring Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and The Mask. Much to the tuxedoed wolf’s disappointment, Red’s not interested, but Grandma’s more than happy to give him a kiss.

The Company of Wolves (1984)

An adaptation of an adaptation of a story told in many shapes and forms, Neil Jordan’s film was co-written with the short story writer (and novelist) Angela Carter. With Angela Lansbury as the grandmother, The Company of Wolves is the dream of its main character, warned away from wolf-like men but ultimately tempted by all things lupine.

Freeway (1996)

A violent, uncompromising and yet somehow funny take on Red Riding Hood set in modern-day Los Angeles, Freeway (pictured) stars Reese Witherspoon as Vanessa Lutz, an illiterate teenager on the road. Away from her prostitute mother and abusive stepfather, the serial killer, rapist and paedophile Bob Wolverton (Kiefer Sutherland) decides to give her a lift – but Vanessa doesn’t need any Woodsman to take care of this monster.

Hoodwinked! (2006)

An low-budget computer animation, Hoodwinked! tells the story from the point of view of police detectives interrogating the Wolf, the Granny, the Woodsman and Red herself. Its voice cast includes Anne Hathaway and Glenn Close, and a sequel is billed for release later this year.