Draw against Leeds Met confirms women’s badminton runners up spot

The women’s badminton side ended their season with a 2-2 draw against Leeds Metropolitan Carnegie thirds

The women's badminton side, pictured here against Durham last week, have had a fantastic season, finishing second in BUCS 2B

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 4

LEEDS METROPOLITAN CARNEGIE THIRDS 4

York were unable to get the full three points in this match despite being handed two by Leeds because they turned up a doubles pair short. The draw means York finish runners-up to Northumbria firsts in the women’s 2B league.

York’s top singles player, Rachel Farrington, got things underway with a comfortable 21-10, 21-8 win over Leeds’ second ranked single. Farrington displayed some fine shot making in the first end and continued this over into the second, a series of smashes providing the exclamation point on this win.

The early three point lead was reduced to two, however, when Alice Garcia lost out to Leeds’ number one singles player who was a cut above throughout both her matches. Garcia performed admirably considering singles is not her usual style of play but gave away a few too many easy points. Unable to establish any momentum she lost 6-21, 12-21.

In the battle of the top ranked singles players it was Leeds who clinched the point. Farrington seemed to do little wrong but gifted her opponent some inviting returns which she duly took advantage of winning 21-16, 21-15.

The first doubles match saw second ranked Beth Cowell and Laura Suddaby taking on Leeds’ only doubles team. Expelling a couple of lapses in concentration, Cowell and Suddaby formed a good partnership and took the first end 21-17. They lost the second 7-21 but a great shot from Suddaby ensured victory in the final end 21-17 for an excellent win.

Garcia looked to bounce back in her second game but a few too many misplaced and mishit shots gave her opponent points she did not have to work for. The first end was lost 20-22 but Garcia came back to force a third by winning the second 22-20. It was not to be her day, however, as she lost the final end 15-21.

With the overall state of the match hanging precariously in York’s favour at 4-3 Jenny Eyes and Clare Breare took to court. Spirits were dampened when they lost the first end 10-21 but the York pairing sprang into life in the second. Breare produced a number of shots the Leeds pair did not anticipate and Eyes backed up the play of her partner to win the second end 22-20 and leave their opponents looking flustered. It proved in vain, however, when York’s top pairing faltered in the final end. An error in judgement saw them leave one shot only for the shuttlecock to land in and some sloppy returns let their opponents pick up some easy points and win the final end 21-17.

Captain Jenny Eyes was “a little disappointed” with a draw, especially as it was her last match for the university, but sought consolation in pushing league winners Northumbria right to the very end.