Comfortable victory caps off fine season for women’s hockey firsts

Goals from Charlie Bartlett and two from Rachel Faustino gave York a comfortable victory over Northumbria University seconds on Wednesday

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3

NORTHUMBRIA UNIVERSITY SECONDS 0

Goals from Charlie Bartlett and two from Rachel Faustino gave the women’s firsts a comfortable 3-0 win over Northumbria University seconds. The York goals came early on and from that point on they took their foot of the gas and coasted through the game, troubling the opposition occasionally at the business end without ever being threatened in their own D.

The first goal came via the stick of captain Charlie Bartlett as she roamed forward from right back and signed off her final BUCS match in style. The home side didn’t have to wait much longer for their second goal when club president Laura Pepper struck for goal; Rachel Faustino got enough contact on the ball to deflect it in and double her side’s total.

It was nearly three moments later when Imy Eldergill-Storm combined nicely with Pepper but the latter’s shot was kept out. The next act of the Northumbria keeper, however, was to pick the ball out of the net as Frankie Hall and Pepper came together well to pick out Faustino who scored her second and made it 3-0 to the White Rose.

Jill Mercer, who enjoyed a particularly good game for York, nearly added a fourth but a great tackle from Northumbria’s number 14 kept her out. The half-time whistle blew with the score still at 3-0 but if York had needed to they could have added more.

Images: Peter Iveson

In the second half the away side began to give a much better account of themselves as the cold began to take away from the spectacle of the match. York still looked dangerous but there were fleeting occasions in which their own goal was threatened. Despite a Northumbria player hitting the post, however, goalkeeper Beanie Usher remained untroubled.

With the game heading towards its conclusion it was given a new lease of life when Northumbria’s football players turned up to watch. They added an atmosphere to the game but failed to inspire their university colleagues to grab a consolation.

In the dying moments Faustino was denied a hat-trick while Nathalie Montezuma almost added her name to the score sheet as well. Despite a few other efforts from either side it ended 3-0, a happy outcome for Charlie Bartlett as she and club president Laura Pepper, both ever-willing servants to hockey at the university, bowed out of BUCS action. Imy Eldergill-Storm may also have played her last BUCS match and a comfortable 3-0 win, in a season which – bar missing out on promotion – has been superb is a good way to leave.

Captain Bartlett was extremely happy at the final whistle: “It was a good way to end the season. I’m really proud of everyone and although we didn’t get promoted, it has been a great season.”