Promotion prospects left in tatters for men’s hockey seconds

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 4

UNIVERSITY OF TEESSIDE 6

York’s poor run of form running into the end of the season continued as they lost their home fixture to third place Teesside to end any promotion aspirations. It was always going to be a tough game, especially after coming off of a 5-1 loss to Bradford last week, but the York team did start brightly. The home side started with a good intensity and put their opponents under heavy pressure and found themselves 1-0 up following a well worked short corner, Simon Murphy clinically finishing.

As the game went on though the York side lost their earlier pacy movement and composure on the ball, and their performance levels dropped. The Teesside team capitalised upon this as they intercepted a misplaced pass and hit York on the break with Chris Lingard running through and passing to Mick Holmes who was in space. Holmes’ first effort was well saved by Tom Chevins but the rebound fell back to Holmes who slotted the ball away coolly to level the score. York, however, replied quickly and soon found themselves back in the lead following another well worked short corner with Joe Walsh hitting home on this occasion.

The game then became more scrappy and bad tempered, with Teesside opting for the long ball over the top approach and Dan Steele being sin-binned for a succession of fouls to halt the on running Teesside player. York did well to maintain their lead when down to ten men but at the end of the half a brilliantly co-ordinated short corner from Teesside once again drew them level, with the ball falling to the stick of Paul Warwick who turned and smashed it past the York goalie. Tempers flared at the very end of the half and resulted in Joe Walsh squaring up to Murray Fothering.

Images: Philippa Grafton

The Teesside team came out after half-time and began to dominate, creating a succession of chances and finally taking the lead for the first time in the match, this time it was Mike White who got the goal. It could’ve been much worse for the York side but keeper Chevins pulled off a number of good saves. A lack of movement on the York attack was noticeable , but a dazzling run by James Talbot managed to create a spark and it was he who finished the move off to once again draw the scores level, against the run of play.

The goal failed to lift the York side and they quickly conceded two goals the second as a result of some shocking defending allowing Warwick space to dribble in the area and pick out an easy pass to Lingard, who converted well. York did show some spirit however and got themselves back into the game with Talbot scoring his second of the game with a fine flick. York couldn’t find a late equaliser though, and as they pushed more men forward they left space at the back, which Warwick took full advantage of and scored by putting the ball past Chevins at his near post, to end the match 6-4.

It was a disappointing result and performance by the York seconds team, but as Tom Chevins commented after the match it “was a tight game that could have gone either way” and he praised the Teesside team by commenting that they were “good going forward”, but then added that he felt he could’ve done better with some of the goals.

YORK TEAM: Thomas Chevins (GK), Alex Alonso, Thomas Harcourt, Harry Bercis, Dan Forshaw, Joe Walsh, Sam Unsworth, Duncan Sills, James Talbot, Simon Murphy, Dan Steele, Dougie McAteer