Exit polls show Blundell and Rowley in fight for Presidency

Nouse and YUSU exit polls see Lydia Blundell and Charlie Rowley in battle for Presidency

Credit: Pete Iveson. YUSU Presidents at their Hustings night

Exit polls for the YUSU elections have been released with Lydia Blundell predicted to become President, winning by 11 per cent in the fourth round over Charlie Rowley. However, in a recent poll by Nouse, Rowley gained a eight per cent advantage over Blundell.

Both Tim Ellis and Aaron Rolph look set to be beaten after scoring low in both YUSU and Nouse polls.

Blundell has told Nouse: “We’ll have to wait and see, I’m very excited for tonight – it’s going to be close but should be a good night!”

Arthur Pitt is predicted to have narrowly beaten James Croydon to the Student Activities Officer position by two per cent and six per cent from the YUSU exit polls and the Nouse survey respectively.

Graeme Osborn was shown to win the position of Academic Officer by just one per cent, however this was by a greater margin in the Nouse survey where he was predicted to have won by over 30 per cent.

Robert Hughes is predicted to have beaten incumbent Welfare Officer, Laura Borisvaite, by six per cent in both polls and Sam Asfahani looks set to return for another year as York Sport President, with exit polls by YUSU and Nouse giving him a 41 per cent and 36 per cent lead over Ben McGladdery.

The YUSU exit polls were compiled from 100 randomly selected votes on Monday 28th February while the Nouse survey was conducted mainly around the Courtyard asking about 150 students.

Last year Oliver Hutchings took a six per cent lead in the exit polls before losing out to Tim Ngwena on election night.

Arthur Pitt, running for Student Activities Officer, commented that, “since it’s [YUSU exit poll] a random poll of 100 people, I don’t think it really means anything. All it does is make me more nervous.”

Voting has now closed with over 300 ballots being cast in the last five minutes and the results of all the YUSU positions will be announced in the Courtyard tonight from 7:30 and on the Nouse live blog.

The full YUSU Sabbatical Exit polls can be viewed at: http://www.yusu.org/docs/exit-poll-2011-yusu.pdf