Hull earn rare wins in Ultimate Frisbee

Hull’s Varsity team of the year, the Ultimate Frisbee team, secured two wins out of two on the second day of the White Rose Varsity

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 7

UNIVERSITY OF HULL 13

York’s ultimate Frisbee players fell to a 13-7 defeat in a hard fought encounter on the 22 acres. Hull raced to an 8-2 half time lead and although York rallied late on, it was a case of too little too late.

Although York went ahead by taking the first point of the day Hull won the next four to take control of the tie in challenging conditions. With a strong wind blowing both sides struggled to pass the Frisbee as scoring was difficult.

Things got worse for the hosts as with Hull already 6-2 up Gareth Berry picked up an injury. With York already missing Captain Steve Eyre through injury and Vice-Captain Cameron Godfrey electing to play through the pain barrier despite having broken his collarbone and shoulder blade three weeks previously, York’s position seemed even more perilous.

It was Hull who looked the most threatening throughout the first period as they came close to scoring twice before adding a seventh and bringing the half to an end with the score at 8-2.

varsity2 008

Image: Philippa Grafton

However York played with resilience in the second half as they refused to role over with Jody Martin and Enrique combining to make it 8-3 as the hosts opened the scoring in the second period. A nasty collision between women’s Captain Rachel McCulloch and Hull’s Sam Barlett saw the York player suffer a suspected dead leg as she was attended to by medics with York suffering yet another injury.

A competitive end to the half saw Hull extend their lead before Jamie Smith’s effort made it 11-4 to the visitors at the end of normal time. With neither side having scored the required 15 points, the two point cap came into effect with both sides needing to reach 13 points to win the match.

Amidst the fading light it was at this point that York showed their true character. The home side won the first three points as they were hotly contested by both teams, inspiring real belief among those watching. Enquiries were made about a glow in the dark Frisbee with the match showing no signs of coming to an end. Eventually however a determined Hull side broke York’s resilient defence to score the two points they needed to win the game and win a truly remarkable encounter with dusk falling on the 22 acres.

Speaking after the game York Vice Captain Cameron Godfrey described the match as “awesome.” He said it was “an amazing game and both sides fought hard. I am proud of the way the team kept their heads up and we won four straight points at the end, showing we weren’t a force they could trample over.”

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 3

UNIVERSITY OF HULL 8

York fell to an 8-3 defeat in Varsity’s indoor Ultimate Frisbee clash. Despite occasional spells of possession York struggled to get into their rhythm against an impressive Hull side. The visitors were quickly on the front foot as they scored three without reply; despite York’s best pressuring efforts they simply couldn’t get hold of the disc.

The home side eventually managed to show their class after good work from Rachel McCulloch and Tom Hainess. With the difference in scores decreasing York sought to build their momentum, but the composed Hull team didn’t let them. Hull worked cleverly to calm the game down, keeping the disc well. This patient passing game rewarded them with a series of unanswered scores.

Team captain Cameron Godfrey admitted his side were up against it from the off; “they’re a good team; they’ve really developed since we played them last year”. It was a difficult ask for a York Ultimate team that lost the majority of its squad last summer; recruiting 22 freshers last October. Godfrey remained upbeat though; “we’ll always enjoy it whatever the score, this team’s always fun to play on”.