Classy Hull beat plucky York in basketball

There was a slight silver lining for Hull at Varsity as they won the men’s firsts basketball 101-59

York Mens 1sts
59
101
Hull Mens 1sts
Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 59

UNIVERSITY OF HULL 101

Hull secured some late pride as they overcame York 101-59 in the basketball, with one of their players securing Hull’s Varsity player of the year.

As the teams gathered in their respective huddles the noise from the crowd rose in anticipation of this much awaited fixture, especially after the women’s basketball game had been called off earlier in the day. As the referee blew his whistle to start proceedings the atmosphere rose to fever pitch with York’s supporters chanting “defence” as their team on the pitch valiantly withstood early Hull pressure. Following a cagey opening quarter Hull took a 13-6 lead into the break.

As the second quarter began York played with renewed vigour, marking their opponents tightly and competing hard for the rebounds. It was to no avail though as Hull shot from distance, scoring several free throws, allowing them to take 42-16 into the half time break.

basketball 034

Image: Philippa Grafton

In the second half York continued to battle against a classy Hull side who at times left the crowd overawed by their accurate long shots and intricate passing, leaving one crowd member from Hull to shout out “that’s beautiful” after one particularly aesthetically pleasing basket.

As the teams began the final quarter the score read 73-36 to Hull. The game was gone, but York still pressed on rallying early on in the quarter, however once again Hull hit back with clinical shots from distance to leave the final score a decisive, yet thouroughly respectable 101 – 59 to Hull.

Reflecting on the weekend, Hull player Simon Cokur commented on how he had “enjoyed watching the other sports and seeing the sights of York.” Hull’s Captain Matt Sexton had a more practical view on proceedings stating that he believed “Varsity to have been very well organised.”

York Captain Ben Barrett took a reflective view on the match, lamenting missing players in key positions, but also believing the exercise to have been worthwhile as it allowed him “to scout them before our BUCS fixtures in the next few weeks.”