Seven points as York lacrosse win both games

Both Lacrosse sides tasted victory over Hull in the opening day of Varsity

Image: Lucy Dixon

Image: Lucy Dixon

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN’S FIRSTS 8

UNIVERSITY OF HULL MEN’S FIRSTS 4

The men’s team got off to an indifferent start in the lacrosse match but the quality of Krishna Balan
was enough to see them to a 2-1 lead at the end of the first quarter as he scored both York’s goals.

In the second quarter York began to dominate proceedings and take control of the game but they
couldn’t quite convert their possession into goals. Fortunately Balan was in the mood and he fired
York to a 3-1 lead, a score-line which by no means matched their superiority, and this was the score
as the teams went in for their half-time team talk.

The fiery team-talk obviously had an effect as York came out for the third quarter firing on all
cylinders and their attacking play took on more pace and movement, which the Hull side couldn’t
cope with. Phil Harrold scored to give York a three goal lead after chances for George Breese and
Balan were fired just wide of the mark. As Hull’s offense grew more and more static Carl Maitland
scored York’s fifth to give them a comfortable lead with which to enter the final quarter.

The final quarter proved to be a very exciting one for the spectators on the side line who decided to
brave the cold weather. Hull pulled one back early on but as they grew in confidence from it York
struck on the fast break with captain Phil Harrold running strongly through and firing a quick pass to
Maitland who made the score 6-2. Balan then scored yet again and this goal was quickly followed
by Rob Rompley’s first to make it 8-2 to York and put the game far beyond Hull’s grasp. Credit must
be given to the Hull side however as they never gave up and pulled two late goals back to make the
shoreline look more respectable.

Captain Phil Harrold was pleased with the 8-4 win and the 4 points that it gained for York’s Varsity
score. He commented that “we played well but it took a while for us to get into our game. In the
third quarter though we picked up our game and got a few goals in, so we managed to grind out a
result in the end”.

Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK MEN’S SECONDS 7

UNIVERSITY OF HULL MEN’S SECONDS 0

York came out with the Varsity points in the Lacrosse seconds match-up as they racked up an impressive 7-0 win. A mixture of wind, a rain-soaked pitch and a particularly relaxed atmosphere made the game an open affair; summed up by one by-stander as ‘essentially carnage’. Both teams were mostly made up of Freshers, with others playing out of position to fill the gaps. Whilst this lack of coherence detracted from the game’s flow; the high level of physicality made for an entertaining affair.

The score line was somewhat unfair on a Hull team who competed well for most of the match and had regular spells where they threatened York’s goal. At the end of the first quarter the visitors trailed by just two goals and a tight game had looked set to follow. But as the game progressed Hull simply failed to match York’s clinical finishing as the home team kept their score ticking over.