Dancesport earn 11 points for York with fine showing

Four categories of Dancesport took place this morning as York took on Hull in the first ever White Rose Varsity

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 11

UNIVERSITY OF HULL 1

York’s Dancesport team waltzed, shimmied and fox-trotted their way to eleven points of the twelve possible on the first day of the White Rose Varsity. Their opponents Hull managed only one in the Dancesport event.

With the competition comprising of Beginners’ Ballroom, Advanced Ballroom, Beginners’ Latin and Advanced Latin, York won three of the four categories, failing to take all the points in only the Beginners’ Latin.

It was a win for the hosts in the Beginners’ Ballroom and, with the beginners’ events awarded two varsity points, it equated to a 2-0 lead overall.

There was more good news in the Advanced Ballroom where once again York took all the points, the judges deciding that the hosts had performed better to give them the four points on offer.

dance 024

Image: Philippa Grafton

The Beginners’ Latin was the only slight blip with a share of the points judged to be the result. Normal service was resumed in the Advanced Latin where the score was 4-0.

Society President Abi Wilson was extremely happy with the day’s performances: “It was a really fun competition. Hull have been very good sports and we’re looking forward to next year”.

Wilson singled out the beginner couple of Josh Boswell and Katie Haslingden who danced in three categories, enjoying success in all three.