Whitewash for women’s badminton against under-par Durham

The women’s badminton firsts enjoyed another extremely successful day at the office, hammering Durham University thirds 8-0

Image: Philippa Grafton

Image: Philippa Grafton

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 8

DURHAM UNIVERSITY SECONDS 0

York’s women’s badminton team cemented their place as the only team within touching distance of league-leaders Northumbria University firsts and kept their faint promotion hopes alive with a comprehensive 8-0 defeat of the side just below them in the BUCS Northern Conference 2B, Durham University seconds.

Charlotte Crosby and Rachael Farrington got the ball rolling for York – Crosby was never forced into top gear against Durham’s Keertana Ravi, winning 21-11, 21-3, and Rachael Farrington had a similarly easy time of it against Sarah Webber in a 21-11, 21-10 win to give York a 2-0 lead after the first set of singles games.

An unfamiliar doubles partnership of Beth Cowell and Liz McFadzean beat Durham’s Sophie Fenton and Anja Hutchinson 21-4, 21-10 in a surprisingly straightforward game but on the other court York’s first pair, Jenny Eyes and Clare Breare, didn’t have it all their own way. They eventually finished off their opponents Caroline Park and Catherine Duckmanton 21-19, 17-21, 21-14 and with it went the Durham team‘s best chance of winning a point.

Images: Philippa Grafton

The match became a York victory procession once Farrington had beaten Ravi to give her team an unassailable 5-0 lead; the Durham player spent an extended interval between ends lying supine on the court floor with stomach pain and Farrington had no trouble registering the winning point for the home side, taking both ends 21-7.

Charlotte Crosby returned to court to face Durham’s Webber in her second game and won by an identical scoreline as she did her first, 21-11, 21-3, and despite a couple of unforced errors Cowell and McFadzean were untroubled by Park and Duckmanton in a 21-12, 21-14 win.

Eyes and Breare took on Fenton and Hutchinson in the final game of the match and a 21-11, 21-6 win secured the 8-0 victory – the second York captain Eyes and her team have enjoyed this season – ensuring they will finish the league season no lower than second and preserving their push for promotion as they seek to catch Northumbria University at the top of the table.

THE TEAMS

York

Singles: Charlotte Crosby
Rachael Farrington
Doubles: Jenny Eyes (c), Clare Breare
Beth Cowell, Liz McFadzean

Durham

Singles: Sarah Webber
Keertana Ravi
Doubles Caroline Park, Catherine Duckmanton (c)
Sophie Fenton, Anja Hutchinson