Anderson at the double as York come back to earn draw

Two goals each from Sheffield’s Clare Reid and York’s Sophie Anderson meant York seconds and Sheffield fourths played out a competitive 2-2 draw

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 2

UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD FOURTHS 2

York women’s hockey seconds endured a frustrating day on the JLD as a 2-2 draw with the University of Sheffield women’s fourths effectively ended their hopes of securing promotion.

Leila Asrari’s side went into the game full of confidence having enjoyed an unbeaten season, with three wins and a draw, but early on they found themselves 1-0 down. A short corner found its way to Clare Reid at the back post and she finished to give the visitors the lead.

After the initial shock of going behind the White Rose began to assert themselves more, moving the ball around nicely and dominating possession. The second goal, however, came at the other as Reid doubled her own tally as well as her side’s; latching on to a through ball following a counter-attack she approached the on-rushing Laura Porter and slipped the ball underneath her to make it 2-0.

York could have been tempted to throw in the towel at this point but they rallied and nearly halved the deficit after good work by Natalie Montezuma and Cat Johnson. Montezuma was at it again moments later when her shot travelled narrowly wide.

With time running out in the first half York fought their way back into the match through Sophie Anderson. Receiving the ball on the edge of the D she tiptoed her way past a few tackles before firing under the Sheffield goalkeeper to send her team into half-time on a high. York had enjoyed their fair share of possession in the first half but they hadn’t been able to translate that into goals. Sheffield, on the other hand, had taken their opportunities when they had come their way.

Images: Peter Iveson

Club President Laura Pepper spoke to the team during half-time and whatever was said must have some effect as York started on the front-foot after the interval.

Sally Dalton, playing at right-back, was enjoying a particularly good game, especially roaming forward down the right flank and on one foray forward she was unlucky to not find a team-mate in the D to draw her side level.

Despite this the hosts didn’t have to wait long to draw level as Anderson scored her second of the game to make it 2-2. Sheffield were unable to clear their lines and, after a frenetic spell of pinball in the D, Anderson hit home to level arrears.

In the dying moments either side could have grabbed the points, with Frankie Hall going close for York, but it wasn’t to be as the game ended all square. Sheffield’s goalscorer Reid pontificated on her win: “We got here late but we started really well. York’s start probably meant we were lulled into a false sense of security but a draw was a fair result”. Asrari, meanwhile, was despondent at the final whistle: “It’s pretty disappointing. I’m pretty sure we can’t get promoted now. The team worked really hard, but credit to Sheffield, a few chances were missed but all the girls gave 100%”.

A draw that perhaps signals an end to the seconds’ promotion charge is a disappointing day for the team but it has been a superb season and Asrari will hope her side can go out on a high in their final two fixtures against Leeds Metropolitan Carnegie fourths and fifths respectively.