The transfer window: acting on impulse

explores the on-goings of the latest transfer window

One of these men is apparently worth £35m. Can you guess which one? Image: Steenbergs via Flickr Creative Commons

Football exists in a financially mismanaged world of its own. This inalienable fact of life was verified on transfer deadline day, where the Premier League seemingly occupied an alternate reality to every other European league, one of heady and intoxicating excess. As the transfer window’s curiously addictive form of high stakes entertainment unfolded, money was spent with wild abandon, UEFA’s financial fair play regulations were summarily dismissed, and James Beattie joined Blackpool.

Such was the state of affairs with Sky Sports News’ orchestrated coverage of this most thrillingly uncertain of events; as ever it made for compulsive viewing, a visual assault of countdown clocks and scrolling news tickers, of large, shouty men standing in club car parks bellowing about wage demands, medicals, and record fees. Internet rumours and spurious suggestions abounded, bids for Charlie Adam entered into double figures, Spurs pretended to buy strikers.

In England the winter transfer window is a phenomenon of modern football, arriving in 2002 to concentrate all mid-season activity into a single, frenzied month of squad strengthening. While managers may bewail the ill-effects of restricted player trading, which suits the selling club and the money-motivated player, its appeal to idle spectators, those who observe the ensuing madness in a state of bemused detachment, is undeniable.

On this occasion it lived up to all the hype and expectation, the tension rising in accordance with Andy Carroll’s ever escalating fee. The incomprehensibly huge sums of money that changed hands seemed suitable for this most bizarre of days in the football calendar, its absurdity sealed as clubs across the land dusted off fax machines and high speed helicopters to complete deals on time, airborne players racing to beat the 11pm deadline.

And it’s this same sense of impending peril, of fretful, panicked urgency that makes the transfer window so stimulating, imbuing even the most prosaic of discussions between blazer wearing club officials with a sense of vitality and purpose. Trapped in the thrall of Sky Sports News’ portentous deadline day extravaganza, Paul Konchesky’s potential loan move to Nottingham Forest was rendered an eminently watchable TV experience.

In an event where money is king and panic buying is prevalent, characterised as it is by this state of flux and perennial possibility, it seemed that almost anything could happen before the window slammed shut. And with Kenny Dalglish in control of large sums of money it invariably did. With concepts of careful planning and sound financial thinking duly scorned for their fun-spoiling irrelevance, a world of endless possibilities opened up.

All clubs were complicit in the sordid process that ensued, the desire to be perceived as an active force in the transfer market often overtaking any genuine need for new players. This appearance of flustered intent, and insatiable interest in Spanish based strikers, seemed to sustain Tottenham on the final day, as club officials could gleefully inform fans of the record fees offered, secure in the knowledge that they would never be accepted.

This appearance of activity, and of having been engaged in an ultimately doomed pursuit of big name players, is a touchstone of the transfer window, with club’s routinely appealing to their most delusional supporters. The sort of person who stands outside the stadium gates when Sky come calling, eagerly hoping for new arrivals, but equally prepared to adopt the expression of the profoundly wronged, to burn replica shirts emblazoned with the name of a defecting number 9.

Such spectacle and performance is a most important part of the transfer window, as we each act out our appointed roles. While fan favourites are thrust into the media glare to publicly express undying affection for their current club, agents and chief executives, the shadowy figures from football’s seamy underworld, are concealed from view. Plotting away in the background, they seal the deals that make spurned supporters such a highly sought-after commodity.

As they loudly decry their departed idols in a scene of cathartic complaint, the transfer window becomes an increasingly interactive event for those previously kept to the peripheries. No longer confined to starting unfounded rumours on internet message boards, backed up by nothing but tenuous links to the club shop or airport security staff, the present day football fan is now able to engage with the insanity like never before.

1. neither carroll or drogba are worth £50 million – carroll got bought for 35!