Basketball seconds suffer heavy loss to St. John

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 57

YORK ST. JOHN UNIVERSITY FIRSTS 80

York seconds fell to a heavy defeat at the hands of bitter rivals York St. John yesterday as the visitors ran out winners by 80 points to 57. Despite showing signs of improvement late on, the hosts were second best for much of the game and failed to cope with the long passes that allowed St. John to break to such devastating effect.

St. John edged ahead in what was a frenetic opening period with chances aplenty. In what was an end-to-end game it was a case of the away side being more clinical and taking their chances as York saw many of their shots rebound off the basket. Ron Chen was at the heart of things for the home side as his driving runs troubled the St. John defence all game. However the away side succeeded in putting their hosts on the back foot for large sections of the opening exchanges and were further aided by sloppy play from Toby Humphreys who was caught in possession, allowing St, John to break away and score to go 18-10 up at the end of the first quarter.

If the hosts had been unlucky in seeing so many of their shots bounce back in the first quarter, they were the authors of their own downfall in the second. Straight from the restart Humphreys was again guilty of giving the ball away and the away side capitalised. In spite of a superb three pointer from Ron Chen, any pressure York looked to build was consistently undermined by their failure to come to defend as they allowed St. John to break against them all too easily. As the match progressed into the third quarter the visitors exploited this time and again as they sucked York in, soaking up their attacking pressure (who were by now chasing the game) before passing it over the heads of the home players who turned time and again to see a St. John man shooting into an unguarded basket.

Images: Peter Iveson

However the hosts continued to press and some incisive runs from Ron Chen and captain Neil Chauhan continued to cause problems for the St. John defence. Yet the ease with which the away side penetrated York’s backline put the hosts thoroughly under the cosh as St. John had nearly double their score at the end of the quarter, going in 35-66 up.

While the referee treated all present to some sublime 3 pointers during the interval, York regrouped and fought hard in the final quarter (having finally mastered the secret of the visitors’ success). Yet despite some good finishing from John Mustravick and John Taptos as well as a great interception and solo run from Matt Gosden, the game was far beyond the hosts by this point.

Captain Neil Chauhan lamented his side’s lacklustre start to proceedings as he said, “we came out slow and we were sloppy. We came back in the fourth quarter but silly mistakes cost us.” He will hope his side can pick themselves up quickly after being totally outclassed by their fiercest of rivals.

York Team:

23) Neil Chauhan (C)
4) Patrick Breen
10) Matt Gosden
13) John Taptos
88) Moinor Islam
0) Ron Chen
22) Keivan Huppe
2) Toby Humphreys
11) Will Green
6) Marcus Chen
3) Matteo Pazzona
15) John Mustravick

1. Chris,
    Thanks for this great article, was a good read and enjoyed the photos too. I think it’s a shame that we aren’t going to see more encounters between the “bitter rivals” in the absence of a York Varsity this year. I am sure you will be covering the weekend with Hull, and I look forward to it, just merely not as much as I was looking forward to seeing our St Johns take on ‘the big university up the road’, and showing them a trick or two. Congratulations to the Saints for Wednesday’s win, and NOUSE for the journalism.

Ryan,
    YSJ student.