Popular bar Los Locos closed after difficulties

The bar had links with Colleges. Photo: Facebook

Los Locos, a TEXMEX restaurant and bar in Micklegate, was shut down earlier this week and is not expected to reopen.

The closing of the bar and restaurant is allegedly a result of financial difficulties experienced throughout last year’s Christmas period and difficulties concerning the bar’s alcohol license.

Los Locos was a favourite with sport clubs and colleges for cheap shots of spirits and was present on many bar crawls. A number of clubs had deals with the bar and will now be tring to reclaim any lost money.

The Badminton Club had an arrangement with the bar but informed Nouse that “the situation has been rectified for us.”

However, many of the York University Clubs had no affiliation with the bar due to past experience.

The President of the Polo Club has stated that they had an affiliation with Los Locos last year but were, “forced to end it after they failed to fulfil their terms of our contract. We regularly held socials there and spent money in the bar but they failed to give us our promised sponsorship.”

She further highlighted that “their communication and management skills were absolutely appalling, so I am not surprised that they are closing. They really let us down.”

On behalf of the Rugby Club, Rory McGregor said they, “were offered a £350 sponsorship at the beginning of the year” but were forced to turn it down having heard “bad things”.

However, Ben McGladdery, President of the Badminton Club, stated that the manager they dealt with, Richard Flemming, was very honest and straightforward about the situation.

First-year student, Edward Scott, commented: “Los Locos used to be one of my favourites on a night out with its tequila-laded barmaids. I’ll miss its ever-vibrant atmosphere.”