Global Focus

The Nouse Politics team summarises the biggest stories from around the world

[mapmaker]

[mmplace location=”HONDURAS”]
Red Lésbica Cattrachas, a Honduran lesbian rights organization, called for the Honduran government to investigate the recent murders of transgender women in the country. There have been six murders of transgender women since November 29, 2010. The government has previously failed to investigate and prosecute attacks on transgender individuals.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”MEXICO”]
Mexico’s ambassador to the United Kingdom has expressed his displeasure over “offensive, xenophobic and humiliating” remarks made about his country on Top Gear. Eduardo Medina Mora has written to the BBC to complain about comments regarding the Mexican car, the Mastretta. After some delay the Top Gear producer has now apologised but defended the jokes.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”IRAQ”]
Elite security forces controlled by the military office of Iraqi’s Prime Minister are operating a secret detention site in Baghdad, Human Rights Watch announced on Tuesday. More than 280 detainees, almost all accused of terrorism, were transferred to the site days before an international inspection team was due to examine conditions at the detainees’ earlier location.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”BRAZIL”]
Photos of a tribe that have supposedly never been in contact with modern society have been released in an effort to curb illegal logging in the region. An indigenous rights organisation wants to increase pressure on Peru to control the activities of illegal Peruvian loggers, arguing that the logging could push Peruvian tribes into conflict with Brazilian tribes. There remain over 100 isolated tribes worldwide that remain independent of the societies surrounding them. Half of these tribes are in the Amazonian rain forest. It is feared that the logging will irrevocably change their future development.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”ZIMBABWE”]
The country’s unity government is facing a divisive moment as Professor Arthur Mutambara refuses to leave his post as Deputy Prime Minister. He was recently ousted by his party, the Movement for Democratic Change, and is expected to make way for its new leader, Professor Welshman Ncube. President Mugabe has refused to allow Mutambara’s resignation to move forward, and some are accusing Mugabe of being ‘tribalistic’ and wielding his presidential powers inappropriately.[/mmplace]

[mmplace location=”CHINA”]
Leading Chinese journalist, Chang Ping, was forced out of his job this week amid tightened restrictions on the media. The journalist was an influential editor at the Southern media group and was known for tackling contentious social and political issues. Chang Ping’s departure is contextualised within pre-existing censorship of publications and broadcasts.[/mmplace]