Future Sounds

Upon searching “Hayvanlar Alemi” Google images greets me with the face of a bemused brown bear and a pair of wolves in deep thought. Fittingly, or not so fittingly, Hayvanlar Alemi translates “World of Animals”, although listening to the Turkish four-piece does not quite inspire a montage of a blossoming bovine romance. This four piece, of friends since middle school, in fact started as hard-and-heavy cover band in 1999 in Ankara, Turkey.

Since then they’ve morphed into a psychedelic folk-rock band and although they may be solely instrumental, they’re mesmerising. They’re the kind of band you’d imagine playing in Atlantis… or while tripping in your bath tub. Their sound twangs, ripples and echoes –it invades your mind and has your head nodding and eyes closed in that appreciative music-snob way. It wouldn’t be hard to imagine their birth at a hallucinogenic fuelled orgy with Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa, whose influences play out heavily in their music. After having recently signed with record label Sublime Frequencies, and releasing their record “Guarana Superpower “, Hayvanlar Alemi are slowly breaking out to join the ranks of psychedelic freak beaters. Their only currently confirmed UK show is at the Barbican in London, 13th May.