Men’s lacrosse draw in frenetic encounter with Yorkshire rivals

The White Rose look to win back possesion on the 22 acres Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 6

UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS 6

The men’s lacrosse team battled to a draw that looked improbable at some points during their BUCS clash with local rivals Leeds this Wednesday.

On a freezing 22 acres they gave everything in a game that had it all. After going 1-0 down early on their heads could have dropped but Josh Whittingham equalised, and not before York had forced three top saves from the opposition keeper.

Captain Krishna Balan was influential in everything his side did and thanks to him they went in 2-2 at the break, having briefly led 2-1.

Images: Peter Iveson

In a scrappy second quarter York asserted their dominance initially but were then pegged back by the visitors. A bustling performance from Luke Shilling kept them in the hunt though and Balan gave a spirited team talk before the final quarter, urging his team on to victory.

For a moment it looked as though they would earn just that as they took a 2 point lead through Balan. However Leeds mounted an impressive comeback to tie the scores a 6-6 with seconds to play. Then, in hugely dramatic circumstances, Leeds looked to have scored a late winner but were thwarted by the referee’s whistle as he blew to end the game as the player was in the action of taking his shot. It was a fair decision and York were good value for their draw. They will hope to take fight like they displayed this week into the rest of the season.

1. Krishna is the club president, not the captain.

are there any more pictures of this game?

2. 5 Feb ’11 at 9:34 pm

phil walker BNOC

i love little vumsi