Two horse race for York Sport

With nominations having been open over a week, TR has noted that election fever has yet to gather any real sense of momentum. Hence, to liven things up a little as we speculate on the runners and riders for the role of York Sport President, TR plans to drop in as many sporting clichés as possible. So which individuals can we expect to see sparring for the role?

In the grand old tradition of at least one incumbent re-running, TR can confirm that Sam Asfahani, York Sport President, is to seek a second term. This may not come as much of a surprise to most, with his well-decorated corner of the YUSU office looking a lot cosier that the harsh climates of graduate unemployment that may await. Everything he has done since his election has been with a view to the future; it only makes sense that he will want to see the new York Sport village, that he will want to pass on the baton of Roses rugby at the York Knights stadium and that he will want to be in charge as the White Rose Varsity makes its debut.

As Ngwena proved last year, and Leyland the year before that, the election fight as an incumbent is a considerably easier battle, and it is hard to deny the smart money is on Asfahani.

But as TR likes to say, pride comes before a fall, and complacency is never an election-winning strategy. Asfahani is rumoured to be facing some feisty female competition from Netball President Kate Copson, who has two years excellent experience in the York Sport Committee and may choose to have a punt at the role, while her Hockey counterpart Laura Pepper could also decide to chance her arm. TR suspects that their involvement with York Sport already will mean they leave it to Asfahani, but who can say until the race has been run?

Another name to throw into the ring is Badminton President Ben McGladdery. McGladdery doesn’t have the same York Sport experience of Copson and Pepper but he would be able to count on the sizeable support of the badminton club, and he could make a late surge from the back of field to take the prize. It is, after all, a game of two halves.

There is always the chance that a complete dark horse/long-shot/underdog (take your pick there) could steal a march on the others but if the election were to take place tomorrow the odds on Asfahani facing competition from only McGladdery would be short. TR, for one, would definitely have a flutter.

Want a piece of the action? Email us all you rumours and speculations to [email protected]

The opinions expressed above are not representative of either those of Nouse, or of YUSU. They are the speculations and personal views of the author, or authors, who will remain anonymous. Please direct any complaints or issues to [email protected] or the Returning Officer Dan Walker at [email protected] If you have any welfare concerns relating to the content, please contact [email protected] The editor will take full responsibility for all content posted on this blog.

1. “As Ngwena proved last year, and Leyland the year before that, an election fight against an incumbent is no easy battle, and it is hard to deny the smart money is on Asfahani.”

Are you saying it’s easy to run as an incumbent, or that Sam faces a tough fight? Or, as I suspect, have you cocked up and said both?

I guess you meant “but”. However, Tim and Charlie don’t really prove anything as a pair – Charlie wiped the floor with her opposition, but Tim only won by a couple hundred votes last year.

2. 2 Feb ’11 at 12:57 pm

History Student

This whole incumbent thing forgets that Rory Shanks lost to his female clone.

This grand old tradition is only three years old – Burton, Leyland/Shanks, Humphrys/Ngwena, Asfahani/Bo…

3. 2 Feb ’11 at 1:11 pm

Need somebody to love

“An election fight against an incumbent is no easy battle”

That is what is being said. Both Leyland and Ngwena won as incumbents and this quite clearly, to me at least, seems to be saying that Asfahani has an advantage because he is the incumbent.

Therefore, as the quote says, it is hard to beat an incumbent – primarily because name recognition is a massive factor to an apathetic student populus.

4. The Question: When you name multiple people, how is it a two horse race?

The Answer: Fail

5. @The Answer.

Are you so arrogant that you didn’t even read the article before posting another highly critical comment?

“If the election were to take place tomorrow the odds on Asfahani facing competition from only McGladdery would be short”

The headline is two horse race because,as it says, despite the chance others will run, that is probably what it will be.

6. If Sam wins it will be because he is the best candidate. The question about being the incumbent is about people’s interest in voting for reliability and if the people regard what has been achieved as being note worthy then people will vote to keep it. It is an earned advantage or disadvantage, nothing more and nothing less. Personally I feel that Sam has done a great job and has been committed to not just his pursuits in York Sport and its long term goals but also YUSU’s interests in a wider sense. He has done a good job *in my eyes* and therefore I am inclined to vote for him vs. risking someone with no proven track record in the position…..Democracy in action, no?

7. Really didn’t put much effort into this blog, hmmm? I’m assuming that there’s not going to be more posts since the candidate list is out?