The start of something great

And so, here we go again. The blog that YUSU and BNOCs alike love to hate has returned in full swing. Under a shiny new guise and with a far more elusive author, The Race will follow the ins and outs of the build up to the inaugural YUSU elections, speculating and solidifying candidate rumours, and tracing the election steps of our future leaders to the bitter end.

How it will all end, TR can only speculate. Should it pass UGM, the surprise scrapping of Democracy and Services position will be something of a bitter pill for those who stuck around another year to re-run for the position (no names mentioned…) and is likely make the competition for Student Activities and Academic officer tighter than ever before. The Sabbs have also chosen to abandon the standard jovial theme of the elections (apparently the presence of Big Bird last year was the cause of much confusion to the student body), choosing instead the overall premise: “What will you stand for?”. Originality has never been their strong suit.

And as for President? With the usual college chairs and society bigwigs already making their move, TR can only hope that a token wildcard candidate emerges from the woodwork to throw the cat among the pigeons.

So let the rule breaking and shamefaced electioneering commence. TR promises to keep the gossiping to a minimum, but to all those hopeful candidates sitting in their badly-heated kitchens, mocking up a manifesto and some brightly coloured posters, we have one plea- keep it interesting. Backbiting and underhand tactics aside, some policies beyond increased water coolers and better hand-washing facilities will make all the difference, and keep the student population engaged longer than the two minutes it takes to join a Facebook group.

If you think you know something TR does not, drop me an email at [email protected].

Elections Timetable

Nominations open: Monday 24th January 12pm
Campaigning Briefing: Friday 11th February
Hustings: Thursday 17th February
Campaigning opens: Friday 18th February
Voting Opens: Friday 25th February
Voting closes: Thursday 3rd March
Results announced: Thursday 3rd March 8:00pm

Let the race begin.

The opinions expressed above are not representative of either those of Nouse, or of YUSU. They are the speculations and personal views of the author, who will remain anonymous.

1. 24 Jan ’11 at 11:02 am

I really hope

I really hope, that Nouse turn up at these election results on Friday 4th March – that way you can get the news a day after everyone else.

2. 24 Jan ’11 at 11:11 am

Ron (Burgandy)

Good evening York.

I hear that Tahir ‘Big Deal’ Shetty is running for Democracy and Services, even if it gets voted at UGM, he’s just that much of a Big Name.

Failing that, he is likely to take up all five positions.

You stay classy Nouse (for a change…)

3. 24 Jan ’11 at 11:26 am

I really hope

That you’re not censoring my comment pointing out the factual errors in this…

4. 24 Jan ’11 at 11:38 am

Hardly elusive / anon author

For this particular post , had to be an author present at the YUM meeting on Friday last week to quote Dan so well.

5. Should I run?

Am I too old?

Does anyone remember me?

6. 24 Jan ’11 at 11:56 am

Hardly elusive / anon author

Any chance of approving my comment? Or we censoring that too?

7. 24 Jan ’11 at 12:23 pm

Chris Etheridge

Cardboard.

8. I’ve heard Big D Big Deal Emma Warren was thinking of going for Student Activities Officer…. WARREN FTW!

9. n hears that Jason Rose is currently filing a complaint against yusu so that he cam run this year: under the guise that he intends to be a student again this year? (but surely that would put his being a student back by a year!)

10. Steven Perring wants to run for Socs & activities.

11. 24 Jan ’11 at 3:17 pm

Gwaaarn Van Wilder

Paul Guest for President, giving OAP’s up and down the country hope.

12. And now the link i included has been removed. Tut tut

13. Paul, you’re never too old.

Don’t let go.

14. This was really good last year because people knew to send their tit-bits and rumours to Foy, so I’m a little dubious this whole anonymous thing is really going to work.

Any news as to whether Vision are going to compete this time? Last year’s copy and paste job was rather dire.

In other news, doesn’t Jason Rose count as “a token wildcard candidate” for President?

15. Paul Guest says:
    January 24, 2011 at 11:38 am
    Should I run?

Am I too old?

Does anyone remember me?

SORRY WHO ARE U?

16. I have heard that Chris Etheridge is going to run for President since D&S has gone. He is a Masters student after all.

I’ve also heard that Sam Asfahani might be re-running and that Graeme Osborn is going for Academic. Also apparently David Clarke is running for Welfare. Strange rumours about!

17. 24 Jan ’11 at 7:05 pm

Stephen Blacks

Are nominations opening today then? There is nothing about it on the YUSU homepage.

Come to think of it with the whole Democratic Review thing I don’t even know what the positions mean anymore. This needs urgent clarification.

Given Dan Walker has so little to do he has removed his whole position you’d have thought he’d be on top of all this.

18. Apologies, YUSU has temporarily closed all comments on this blog until further notice.

19. “Apologies, YUSU has temporarily closed all comments on this blog until further notice.”

I wonder why that is? Maybe it’s something to do with being unable to stick to their own timetable and actually do the job that they’re paid to do. It’s their full-time job and I would have sacked them by now if they were working for me. Work to deadlines, guys. Seriously.

In other news, I hear Jason Rose isn’t going to run for something, though I’ll believe it when I see it.

20. Dear ‘The Answer’,

As you clearly have enough time to be a gobshite on student media websites, it’s unlikely anyone will be “working for” you at any stage in the near future.

21. 25 Jan ’11 at 10:58 pm

Chris Etheridge

Time for some cardboard monoliths?

22. @ the answer, YUSU have to check that no articles/comments printed in student press are damaging to the welfare/mental well being of students. a lot of the comments were naming individuals & slating them, i don’t think YUSU would really approve…

23. We’re working on getting nominations up online right now (website issues). Please keep an eye out on the YUSU website for a blog detailing how to nominate yourself. (Oh and whoever shares my initials above has it pretty much right.)

24. we think that nouse should provide some extra for yusu officers: verification, – like on twitter. it would add some trust in here somewhere.

(say the anonymous people…)

25. Personally I’m quite happy to wait and see who actually stands rather than speculate – I just hope that candidates this year actually talk to YUSU staff and current Sabbs. BEFORE publishing their manifestos, so that things they promise are (a) within the role’s remit and (b) within YUSU’s power to achieve!