11 Most Anticipated Films of 2011

Nouse’s guide to the 11 most anticipated films of 2011

The Green Hornet – Michel Gondry
Michel Gondry made his name as an auteur of cinema with surreal dramas Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep. The Green Hornet, however, sees Gondry moving in new directions, in this action thriller starring Cameron Diaz and Seth Rogen.

Green Lantern – Martin Campbell
Amongst a host of comic books adaptations hitting our screens this year, including Thor and Captain America, most anticipated is without doubt Green Lantern. Set to be the first comic adaptation rendered in 3D, it features Buried and Van Wilder star Ryan Reynolds in his biggest role to date.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 – David Yates
The Harry Potter franchise will come to a head this year with its final instalment. Tipped to be the biggest film ‘event’ of 2011 and with Hogwarts in ruins, the final confrontation between Harry Potter and Voldemort will reach its dizzying finale.

Son of Babylon – Mohamed Al-Daradji
Winning a British Independent Film Award, and having already been tipped to be one of this year’s most hard-hitting movies, Leeds based director Mohamed Al-Daradji’s politically engaged tale of missing peoples in Iraq is set for release in February.

Black Swan – Darren Aronofsky
Cult director Darren Aronofsky, most well known for Pi and Requiem for a Dream, teams up with Natalie Portman and Vincent Cassel in a supernatural ballet drama. Already causing a stir in critical arenas, this is one to watch out for.

Rabbit Hole – John Cameron Mitchell
Adapted for the screen from Duncan Lindsay-Abaire’s play of the same name, Rabbit Hole, follows a couple, played by Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart, as they try to cope with the death of their young son Danny. With echoes of American Beauty, and having gained a lot of critical attention, including award nominations for Kidman’s performance, this is one to keep your eye out for.

Sucker Punch – Zack Snyder
One of the most intriguing looking films set for release in 2011, Sucker Punch is an American musical action fantasy movie about a girl who with her fellow inmates must escape from a mental asylum to avoid being lobotomized. Blurring the line between reality and psychological delusion, Sucker Punch, which will also be released in 3D looks to be one of the most visually stunning movies this year.

Source Code – Duncan Jones
Having already made a name for himself with his debut feature Moon Duncan Jones’ new film Source Code will have a lot to live up to. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a soldier who wakes up in another man’s body, it promises to be one of this year’s most psychologically endeavouring movies.

Super 8 – J.J.Abrams
Following up, and capitalising on the success of Cloverfield, Abrams’ Super 8, promises to be one of the major science-fiction events of the year. Abrams has refused to release any plot details as of yet, but rumours have it that it will focus on alien-invasion, paying homage to Spielberg’s exploits in the field.

Never Let Me Go – Mark Romanek
Based on the novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro, the long-awaited Never Let Me Go, starring Carey Mulligan and Keira Knightly is the only film this year which can be described as being a ‘science-fiction period drama’. Praised for its emotional and ethical depth it is a sombre musing on the value of human life.

True Grit – Joel and Ethan Coen
True Grit sees Jeff Bridges and the Coen Brothers reuniting for the first time since The Big Lebowski. Based on Charles Portis’ novel – which was famously adapted for John Wayne in 1969 – the movie is set to be the Coens’ biggest box-office success yet.

1. Battle LA ?

2. I hope The Green Hornet doesn’t suck like I keep hearing it will.

3. LOL at Chris O’Donnells head on Lantern pic.