Men’s badminton seconds secure first win of season

The men’s badminton seconds picked up their first win of the season today, overcoming Sheffield Hallam seconds 5-3

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 5
SHEFFIELD HALLAM SECONDS 3

The Men’s badminton seconds clocked up their first win of the season today against Sheffield Hallam to finish their term on a high. After a disappointing three losses and one draw they will be pleased to have broken their duck and will look to the new year with renewed optimism.

Talfryn Provis–Evans and the top doubles pairing of James Somerside and Adam Hirst gave York a solid start by cruising to two victories in straight games. York were soon to be pegged back as the impressive Hallam singles player at the top of the order beat Tim Robson to 14 in both games. The Sheffield side would eventually level things up with victory over the hard working Ollie Metcalf and Tom Dainty who worked hard to no avail and were beaten 25 -23 and 21-17 in a tight encounter.

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

York were scenting a rare positive result and James Somerside urged his team-mates to settle for no less than a draw at the midway point. It was Somerside and his partner who inflicted the blow which gave York real momentum, beating the Hallam pair who had nicked victory earlier in the match resoundingly, giving away only 12 points in their first match and 17 in the second.

With Dainty and Metcalf bulldozing the beleaguered Hallam seconds pair 21-9 and 21-10 it was left to Tim Robson to round out the match which he did with ease, inflicting a 21-9, 21-11 defeat on his opposite number. It was unfortunate for York that Provis-Evans was unable to add another point to their victory especially after he made an impressive start with a 21-19 win. After a slump in the second game which saw him lose 21-9 he upped the level again in the final match, with York already home and hosed, to push his opponent all the way but he came out on the wrong side of a 21-19 score to give Hallam their third point.

The three points will be a major boost to captain James Somerside and his team as they seek to avoid relegation. Provis-Evans was particularly happy with the effort on show: “The team put in a great performance today. Every member of the team pulled their weight and hopefully now we can look up the table instead of down”.

Line-up:

Talfryn Provis-Evans
Tim Robson
James Somerside
Adam Hirst
Tom Dainty
Ollie Metcalf

1. Excellent article, mineral mine.