Dance Soc Presents… 2010 Dance Showcase

The first ever showcase for Dancesoc took place in central hall last night, combining performances from DanceSport, Ballet Soc, and Dance Soc. At last we have had the opportunity to see all the talented dancers that our university is made up of outside the dramatic or musical theatre scene. We were given the chance to find out about the range of dancing that is currently on offer, and a live demonstration that you cannot find at fresher’s fair. Whatever level you currently dance at, or in which discipline, there seems to be something suitable.

The standard of dancing was high, especially given that the dancers were not subjected to auditions in order to be part of the showcase, and the choreography in general was superb, these students being praised as highly as the dancers. The lighting and music were aptly chosen and complemented each individual dance, as did the costumes, which were appropriate to the dance style. Emily Sargeant and Sean Wolverson dancing the Waltz were elegant and beautiful, as was the Ballet Society’s fluid and aesthetically lovely piece set to ‘Defying gravity’. Also standing out in the evening was the Street dance crew, in the feast of life and power that filled the stage in their dancing.

Durham Street performed after being placed second at Durham’s inter-university dance competition. At the competition two of their members gained prizes, one for best male, and one for the dance off. With the extremely tight routine shown here, and spectacular changes between fluidity and moments of strength, it was clear to see why they had been rated so highly.

All the dancers last night were enthusiastic, and seemed to be really enjoying themselves. The finale was a Christmas extravaganza, and once again I left the theatre smiling. I hope to see many more showcases like this in the future.