Netball seconds thwarted by Newcastle

With BUCS Wednesday once again hit hard by the weather, the netball seconds were defeated 46-28 by Newcastle University thirds in a cup match

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 26
NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY THIRDS 48

A dogged performance from the Netball seconds today was not enough to secure a place in the last 16 of the BUCS Northern Conference Cup, as they lost 48-26, ultimately defeated by a stronger Newcastle team and the cold. The defeat was the only black spot in a term that has seen Jo Brayshaw’s side undefeated in all competitions.

As the teams walked out onto the court, it was instantly clear that the temperature was going to be a major factor. Despite the shelter of the Sports Hall, it was quite easily below zero, and it seemed that the team that could combat the cold would have the better of the match. Unfortunately, this team was Newcastle. This could be attributed to their placing in a higher division, or their acclimatisation to the frozen Tyneside winters, but they were certainly much more incisive than their opponents.

Possession in the first quarter was very even, but it was Newcastle who showed the ruthlessness in attack that led to a 9-5 lead at the first break. The game began with a cagey opening, but towards the midway point of the quarter, Newcastle started to pull away, simply taking every chance that was presented them. Despite York chipping in with a few goals late in the stage, they were undeniably the side that needed to work harder for the win.

However, in the second quarter, Newcastle further stepped up a gear, seemingly showing the gulf that York need to bridge next year if they achieve promotion. They dominated the court, with few areas of weakness for York to capitalise on. The seconds were presented with chances, but the strength of the Newcastle defence severely limited any opportunity of grabbing a foothold back in the game. At the half time break, the score was 21-10 to Newcastle, and there was little sign of York staging a comeback.

Images: Peter Iveson

The half time rest clearly did achieve something, as York came out much improved, taking the game to their opponents. Certainly within the first seven minutes of this quarter, they showed more fight, a more determined mind set as they sought to overcome the odds. Yet for every question asked by the York side, they were answered by Newcastle. Despite their domination, and a greater incisiveness, York were pegged back by Newcastle goals time and time again. This clearly signalled that it wasn’t to be York’s day.

In a few terrible minutes, Newcastle became rampant, scoring four goals in quick succession. This caused a perceptible slump in the York team, the early fight they showed in the quarter destroyed, and an arguably unjustified score of 37-18 at the end of quarter was their reward for their post-half time toil.

York did themselves great credit in the final quarter, and although the final result was 48-26, they fought on bitterly to the end. Newcastle sustained their threat in the circle, but despite the heavy deficit, York continued to play their game, and the quarter result of 9-8 to Newcastle was a fair reflection of the even nature of the stage.

Captain Jo Brayshaw was proud of her team, stating “Although we lost, I’m not disappointed with the performance…We’ve had a really good term, and up to this point we were undefeated”. Although knocked out of the cup, York can now focus their ambitions on performance in the league. If they continue to show sort of grit on display today, there is no reason they can’t have hope for every success in the new year.