Men’s badminton firsts hammered by league leaders

The men’s badminton firsts fell to a disappointing 7-1 loss to league leaders Leeds Metropolitan Carnegie on another snowy Wednesday yesterday

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 1
LEEDS METROPOLITAN CARNEGIE 7

York’s men’s badminton firsts were handed their second 7-1 defeat of the season from Leeds Metropolitan Carnegie this afternoon.

York captain James Davies and his team may have seen the defeat against the unbeaten league leaders coming, but they are all too aware that they need to start winning matches soon if they are to remain in the BUCS Northern Conference 1A for the 2011-12 season.

The loss leaves York, who went into the match behind the University of Sheffield and University of Liverpool on game difference, in fifth with only a winless University of Leeds side now below them in the table.

The match began with two singles games and both games went to form, with York’s premier singles player James Hor beating Leeds Metropolitan’s Tom Lambert 21-12, 21-20 and Leeds number one Jamie Fairclough strolling to a 21-3, 21-8 victory over York’s James Somerside.

It was perhaps telling that, in their victories, Leeds Met’s Fairclough had a far easier time of it than York’s number one Hor, who was run fairly close by the Leeds Met number two, and that solitary singles point was to be the York’s only win of the match.

Both doubles pairs managed to take their Leeds Met opponents to a third end but were eventually defeated: Ricky Kanabar and Tim Green went down 19-21, 21-18, 21-15 to Andy Woolway and Matt France while James Davies and Baillie Watterson lost an equally close game 17-21, 21-15, 14-21.

Images: Justyn Hardcastle

Both available points from the second set of singles matches went the way of Leeds Met to give them an unassailable 5-1 lead. The opposition were consistently marginally better than the York players, with both Hor and Somerside losing 21-19, 21-10 to Lambert and Fairclough respectively.

Although the outcome of the match had been decided, York’s doubles pairs went into the final two games of the match with a real incentive to win, knowing that their league position would be very much dependent on game difference.

Davies and Watterson ran Leeds Met’s Woolway and France surprisingly close, losing out 21-19, 12-21, 23-21 York’s Kanabar and Green fared similarly well against Smith and Keighley of Leeds Met, also taking them to a third end. York’s first pair eventually going down 21-7, 12-21, 21-15.

York face the league’s basement team the University of Leeds firsts in the new year and a victory in that match is as necessary as it will be expected if Davies and his team wish to keep their place in the Northern Conference 1A next season.

THE TEAMS

York

Singles: James Hor
James Somerside
Doubles: Ricky Kanabar, Tim Green
James Davies (c), Baillie Watterson

Huddersfield

Singles: Jamie Fairclough
Tom Lambert
Doubles: Alex Smith, Ben Keighley
Andy Woolway (c), Matt France