Government pass bill to raise tuition fees to £6,000

The long awaited Parliamentary vote on tuition fees rises was passed today by 21 votes.

Votes were taken at the House of Commons at 17.25 today for the proposed raising of tuition fees to £6,000. It passed with 323 votes for the bill and 302 votes against it.

Much controversy surrounded the vote, with MPs across all parties abstaining and a considerable number of Liberal Democrat MPs remaining silent during the debate, before voting against the government. It is estimated around 20 Liberal Democrat MPs rebelled.

Conservative MPs David Davis, Philip Davies, Andrew Percy, Mark Reckless and Jason McCartney are also all confirmed to have voted against the changes to higher education funding and fees. Liberal Democrat MP Jenny Willott, and Tory MP Lee Scott have both resigned as parliamentary aides over the issue.

The University have yet to release an official statement in regards to the now confirmed fee rises, although Pro-Vice Chancellor for Students, Jane Grenville spoke exclusively to Nouse this week, stating: “The University can’t really do anything about it now, but we can continue to deplore it and I don’t think there’s any difficulty over the fact that we haven’t changed our position over that.”

“They [students] are just becoming consumers and customers and if they’re buying an education we will get into all sorts of problems.”

Tim Ngwena, YUSU President, commented: “Unfortunately the bill has passed, even though students voiced their concerns about it. The consequences will be regressive, but YUSU are immediately planned to ensure the University now make their position on the rises absolutely clear, and that they maintain access to education and continue to offer a high level of it.”

Students who voted in confidence of the Liberal Democrat party have been voicing their disappointment and dissatisfaction over the past few weeks. Student protests continued today outside Parliament, with over 1,500 students present, though the protests have been marked by a notably increased police presence.

While the majority of today’s protesters have been reported as peaceful, a number have been treated for injuries by police batons, and several students have complained of being ‘kettled‘ in by police forces and prevented from moving.

Students took to the City of York today to protest during the voting, and are currently outside the Guild Hall where a Full Council meeting is being held. Ngwena is due to make a speech there within the hour about the bill and the impact it will have on students at all Higher Education institutions.

A prospective York student said: “this changes everything about my thoughts on going to university. I don’t think I could justify spending that amount of money, even if it is on a really good education…any university would have problems convincing me to pay that much.”

NUS President Aaron Porter, whose commitment to the cause of maintaining the current tuition fee cap was called into question today after leaked emails, stated: “”We’ve taken to the streets in our thousands, won the arguments and the battle for public opinion. We have lost in the House of Commons today only because MPs have broken their promises. We are incredibly disappointed and angry with the politicians who have let us down so badly. They have voted for a policy they know is unfair, unnecessary and wrong.”

“But this is not the end, and our protests and our work have sparked a new wave of activism which will grow stronger by the day. As they come for the education maintenance allowance, as they seek to raise interest rates on our loans and as they peddle lies about fairness we will expose their betrayal. I am incredibly proud of the student movement today and we stand ready to fight the next stage of this campaign together. Our future is at stake.”

Ed Milliband, current Labour Leader, who strongly opposed the Bill, told the BBC “This is a sad day for democracy … people will lose faith in politics.”

1. I’m fairly sure that you mean David Davis, not ‘Davies’.

2. 9 Dec ’10 at 6:52 pm

The Anonymoose

Filthy swine.

3. Dear god, I don’t have anything to add that I haven’t added to friends already. So I don’t post.

@Nathan: Given the contentious issue, why on earth are you being so pedantic? Moron.

4. There is an MP called David Davies (voted for) and one called David Davis (voted against), surely someone saying something, so that the correct name of an MP who voted against his government is important? He’s not being pedantic and is not being a moron in my opinion.

5. While it is bad that the government lied to us, it is despicable that people brought violence into what could of been a peaceful protest. Throwing stones at policemen? setting fire to public property? Disgusting. Isn’t it time we had a little perspective? http://davidhatton1987.blogspot.com/2010/11/little-perspective.html

6. David I agree that the violence on the streets of London is deplorable however has the Government ever actually lied to you? When the Coalition came into being it said it would wait for the Browne Report before taking it into consideration before they acted. They have done exactly what they promised.

7. ngl ‘a student’ that made me laugh.

8. Have the Government taken into consideration the Browne Review? Yes. Have they lied? No. During the election the Liberal Democrats may have made promises that they can no longer keep now they find themselves in Government. Whilst in power the Labour Party set up the Browne Review and it is now them that are reneging on their manifesto promises.

9. 10 Dec ’10 at 2:06 pm

Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi

Luke, you’re going to find that many of the truths which we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

10. 10 Dec ’10 at 2:32 pm

Pint of Guinness please Sir

I am dismayed. Not at the result, as we all knew it would happen. Rather, I am dismayed at the violence of the protests. It seems to me that higher education is wasted on those who think attacking policemen, statues and war memorials are a good way to get a point across.

11. Even for a Tory David Davis is a pathetic little man

12. 14 Dec ’10 at 12:50 pm

Expensive Education...Finally!

Finally the Government has seen sense and raised the tuition fees, long live the coalition!

It’s time for our universities to become great once more, and thank goodness the arts/humanities/petty degrees are suffering a cut in funding!

Bring back real degrees!

13. @Expensive Education…Finally!

I imagine most of the coalition did ‘petty degrees’

14. “City of York”? Pointless capitalisation. Can I be an editor now?