Asfahani announces big changes to both Roses and Varsity

York Sport President Sam Asfahani has announced big changes to both Roses and Varsity

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

York Sport President Sam Asfahani has announced big changes to this year’s Varsity and Roses competitions.

Varsity, normally fought out between York and York St. John, will now include other universities from Yorkshire and will become known as the White Rose Varsity.

Asfahani and his team have already received confirmation that the University of Hull is keen to pursue the possibility and they are now awaiting a response from a fourth university. If a fourth university cannot be confirmed it is more than likely that Hull will still be involved.

Varsity has traditionally been a fairly one-sided affair and York Sport are keen to increase the standing of the event. Asfahani said: “The idea with Varsity is to make it bigger than ever; to make it more competitive and to make it more of an experience for both our students and the students of York St. John. By inviting other universities we hope to achieve this and, in the future, create a spectacle of the size of Roses”.

Asfahani, whose time in the post of York Sport President has already seen the beginning of the construction of the new sports village at Hes East, has also finalized a move that will see the Roses men’s rugby match played at Huntington Stadium, home of the York City Knights.

The game will be played under lights on the Friday night before the weekend of Roses and will act as the centerpiece to the whole event. Asfahani hopes to make it a night to remember with fireworks, special guests and displays from some of York’s performance societies.

The stadium has an attendance of just under 3,500 and it is hoped that with the travelling Lancaster support included the ground will be sold out. Asfahani was jubilant about the progression he had made for the biggest event of the York Sport calendar: “This is the one time in the tournament’s illustrious history that a match will be hosted on such a stage. It’s York Sport’s goal to make Roses as exciting for spectators as it is for competitors”.

1. The nuts!

2. Good to see members of the Union being praised for some of their successes.

Having new officers every year is supposed to encourage new ideas and perhaps a change in direction, glad to see it’s happening within sports.

3. Hull’s in Humberside

4. 7 Dec ’10 at 2:30 pm

John Anderson

I cannot wait to see how YSTV covers that rugby match!

5. 7 Dec ’10 at 2:51 pm

Sharpy lover

Sam, well done! Now where’s this 3g pitch???

6. Hull’s in the East Riding of Yorkshire — Humberside hasn’t existed for a while now.

7. One full sized 3G pitch and three 5-a-side 3G pitches are part of the Sports Village complex on Hes East.

8. guessing only mens 1rst to play there and not womens 1rst?

9. @Fi

I believe it is just the men’s match taking place at the stadium. I have amended the article to make it more clear.

10. not surprised, all for it but its just a shame the men always get more than us (womens rugby)

11. I get your point but it’s not really fair to criticise York Sport for those clubs that aren’t getting to play at such a venue. Can’t we focus on the great work that has been done to secure this rather than the fact that not every club will get to play? Seems York Sport can’t win really. Sounds great to me.

12. 8 Dec ’10 at 9:54 pm

Richard Brodie

Good work. Chance of getting a football match at Bootham Crescent though. A lot of footy fans at Uni would love to see a game there…

13. Personally I think it would have been better to have it as the last game on the Sunday, with the presentations on pitch after the game. With any luck it would have been as close as 2008 and right down to the wire. Either way it will be a huge improvement on previous Roses tournaments.

14. Wow.

Sam Asfahani really does know his stuff. He can catch, he can get big stadiums and he has a beard!

What. A. Man!

15. Thanks for the feedback. The main reason why we chose to have the match on Friday rather than the Sunday is because we cant guarantee that Roses wont be decided by the time of the closing ceremony and we wanted a big opening and wanted to make sure the match’s points made a difference.

As for other sports, this is just a start, I do want to make every match as big as possible but we have to start somewhere. Hopefully we will recieve feedback on the event this year so that it can continue to improve in the future.

16. If tha’s truly a Yorkie, Hull’l ne’er be part o’t’shire

17. at drew peacock :
    im not saying to complain about all other clubs. it just strikes me as odd that only the men first and not the 2nd or 3rds or the women get the same opportunity. and i understand its because we probably can only get enough time in the stadium for one game because its in the evening.
    i think its an awesome way to open roses!!!