The talent of Carl Froch should not be underestimated

brings another immensely popular piece on boxing to Nouse, discussing the talent of Carl Froch and bemoaning the lack of coverage of his sport on terrestrial television

Carl Froch, who should perhaps be more well-known. Image: Bashed via Flickr Creative Commons

On Saturday night Carl ‘the Cobra’ Froch put on a career best performance; schooling, frustrating and embarrassing the German-based Armenian Arthur Abraham. Against an immensely powerful and granite chinned Abraham, Froch was expected to struggle to find gaps in an impregnable defence, become tired, bewildered and wild, with many in the trade believing he would be stopped late on. However, in a display that defied the critics, Froch used all the skills that won him England’s first ever medal at the World Amateur Boxing Championships and had since been forgotten as he had come to be seen as a one dimensional brawler.

Standing behind a long and accurate jab, controlling pace and distance he made Abraham appear a lumbering, lurching, Frankenstein caricature, winning almost every minute of every round. In doing so he regained the WBC Super-Middleweight Championship, progressed to the semi-final of the Super Six tournament and proved finally that he is an outstanding world class talent. Yet hardly anyone knows who he is.

While Sky Sports remains the only broadcaster with any interest in showing boxing, any fighter who isn’t called Hatton, Haye or Khan is going to struggle to make any headway gaining fame or fortune. With the BBC showing an ever-dwindling array of sports, ITV turning its back on the sweet science and Setanta leaving our screen permanently there is only a small pool of money to buy fights. And so Froch is left to display his skills on a little known pay-per-view service watched by one man and his dog.

The ones losing out though, are not the Cobra, but us. Three of Froch’s last five fights against Jean Pascal, Jermaine Taylor and MIkkel Kessler have been fight of the year contenders, while his most recent showcase, though not thrilling, was still something any British sports fan would want to witness and appreciate. Despite the skills that Froch displayed this week, he still has a tendency, and even a desire, to dispense with pugilism’s finer points and just have a good old scrap, leaving those lucky enough to watch it on the edge of our seats. It’s got him into trouble on many occasions, and could even be attributed to his sole loss against Kessler but this willingness to brawl, this love of a tear-up on the cobbles is what fight fans want most from their heroes, if only they’re given the opportunity to see it.

Anyhow, with or without television’s support the Cobra continues on. Around April next year he will take on veteran American Glen Johnson for a place in the Super Six final in a fight that has all the making another classic. Froch certainly won’t be able to tee off with such ease on the much more active and aggressive Johnson and may find himself resorting back to his old gun-slinging ways, leaving big gaps in his defence as he goes for those huge, looping power shots. However, he still goes into the fight as a big favourite and should he be victorious (though against a fighter of Johnson’s class and experience that is no sure thing) he will probably face Andre Ward in the final. Should that fight happen, it will decide who gets the accolade of the absolute best in the world at super-middleweight along with a seat at the table of the greatest in the sport.

Let’s just hope we get the chance to watch it.

1. This is another article Graham.

2. 3 Dec ’10 at 2:01 pm

doncaster boxing

Carl Froch is a old school throw back fighter to the days of jack dempsey,gene tunney,jake la motta ray robinson joe walcott ezard charles and bernard hopkins.He sits at the dinner table with those guys because of his cv since he got a ranking by the WBC.froch has had 5 fights in 23 months.2 fights at home and 3 away.every fight against top men.its unheard of nowadays to do what hes done.jean pascal was first up and in a fight of the year 2008 froch beat him.jean has since beaten pound for pound ranked number 4 chad dawson and is WBC 175 pound king.next up number 1 ranked WBC contender and former 160 pound undisputed king jermain taylor,the man who beat hopkins twice.froch fought him in the USA and knocked him out.next up andre dirrell number 1 WBC ranked and the fastest hands in the division.froch beat him.next up mikkel kessler former WBC

3. 3 Dec ’10 at 2:24 pm

doncaster boxing

……………..next up mikkel kessler former WBC and WBA champ.i had froch beating him by 2 rounds so did showtime but kessler got the nod but has now retired after the beating froch gave him.rumour has it that kessler had broken ribs serious weeing blood problems eye problems and was quoted as saying froch hits like a muel.next up king arthur abraham former IBF 160 pound king and froch bashed him up for 12 rounds in finland.next up glen johnson former 175 pound champ in the USA and i expect froch to bash him up aswell and fight ward in the final in the USA. id like to see WBA champion ward fight away from home as hes protectedat home and gets away with headbutting and forearms and jab jab hold every round 8 or 10 times a round which makes it sad for the crowd.people want to be excited and froch like katsidis and haye and pacman are the most exciting fighters of today.katsidis has lost 3 times and froch and haye once each and pacman has lost a few but they put bums on seats with their all action displays but ward doesnt hes a bore and fights dirty.these exciting fighters ive talked about fear no one and will go on to win over fans from the other side as you get your moneys worth.good luck to carl froch how on earth he aint a tv deal with sky is a crime.his handlers need to take a long look at them selfs then again with calzaghe holding on to his WBC belt as long as he could before moving up to 175 pound that cost froch a year so who knows.maybe joe shold have handed the belt over when he won it as he didnt want to fight a lion in froch he wanted old men like hopkins and jones.its funny how carl fights johnson next,calzaghe pulled out 3 times against johnson as joe didnt want to risk his zero.calzaghe was great but he aint a legend.froch is a legend for fighting the cream of the cream and will go down alongside the very best ever in the sport, were as calzaghe will always have question marks hanging over him thats why joe is making a come back.watch this space.

4. this is a great article – and sadly, its also one of the very few out there now a few days on from the abraham fight (if you google “carl froch”)…. i don’t want to be negative in this post as this is a quality article, really knowledgeable and well written, but where the hell are the national and international tabloids?!!!>….. we get a bit from gareth davies in the telegraph, but thats about it….. carl froch is a great figurehead for british boxing, and i hope he can keep his run going past ward who is a dirty, mayweather type fighter. carl probably only has another 3, maybe 4, fights left if all goes to plan so enjoy him while you can. and anyone who sees him out in notts, buy him a pint from the rest of us in the UK – a top guy.

5. Ideal plan would be wins over Johnson, Ward, Bute, and over Pascal in a rematch for the undisputed title at light-heavy. In reality, things are likely to be different for Froch, much as I hate to admit it. I can see Carl getting past Johnson in his next fight, but I just can’t see the network chiefs allowing Ward to fight outside of the US, and, as a consequence, allowing Ward to lose to Froch in the US; he’s just to much of a potential cash cow for Showtime (and HBO in the possible future) to be worth giving Froch a level playing field for. Sad, but true. If that happens, then Carl might still get the Pascal rematch, though.

6. brilliant performances, after a bit of a nightmare against Kessler and Carl should get through his next fight which will be a bit of a different
    battle ,and will have to be a bit cagy. It would be nice if he could pass
    on to his friend[David Haye] the so called peoples champion, that to have a legacy to leave you have to fight someone of consequence not washed up or even a weak Champion. You should either put up or get out while the going is good, because to me and many other boxing Fans you have proved nothing yet as a heavyweight Boxer.