Men’s Volleyballers lose out to Leeds Met Carnegie

The men’s first Volleyballers lost in straight sets to a vastly more experienced Leeds Met Carnegie side on Wednesday afternoon

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

UNIVERSITY OF YORK 0 – 3 LEEDS MET CARNEGIE (8-25, 4-25, 12-25)

Leeds Met were in rampant form on Wednesday as they easily swept aside the Men’s Volleyball firsts, York failing to really trouble a vastly more experienced Leeds Met, losing 8-25, 4-25, 12-25 in game that lasted just over an hour.

York were always playing catch up to a superior opposition littered with quality and including players of a national standard, but York were guilty of starting very slowly, failing to return serve on any of the first four points as Leeds began to pick apart York, racing into a 10-1 lead before the first time-out was taken by the home side to try and stem the tide. While the time-out looked to settle York, it gave Leeds Met a chance to twist the knife in the first game, the White Rose was unable to recover, losing the first game 8-25.

Frustration began to creep into the York ranks as the series of unforced errors continued, allowing the opposition to continue with unrelenting precision – the Leeds Met set play and defence were easily scooping up everything that York had to offer, Leeds 6’6 f00t GB International clearing everything up at the net as he towered over a smaller York side, forced to field several newcomers as they looked to rebuild on last season. Perhaps it came down to the level of experience, or nerves, but York were in danger of being humiliated, losing game two 4-25.

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

Just as it looked like York were ready to roll over, the fight  seemed to return to them, finally finding a way to cope adequately with the aggressive attack of Leeds Met, the home team producing some excellent digs to keep points alive and force their way back into the game. Their attacking play was also much improved, the whole team seeming to relax as the odds of them winning the tie began to ebb away, finding success with finesse touches as opposed to opting for sheer power, catching the vastly experienced Leeds Met off their guard. But by this point, it was celebration time for Leeds as they began to spread around the sets and ease to a 12-25 win in game three and clean sweep York.

While the result is disappointing for York, reasonable perspective needs to be given as Leeds Met are no ordinary volleyball team – their head coach, Simon Loftus is involved with the GB team and with two teams involved in the National Volleyball league and Super 8 competitions, the highest level for Volleyball in the UK, York always were fighting against the odds. They will need to take the positives from game three and move on as they look to climb up BUCS 1A Northern Conference over the coming months.