Women’s seconds off the mark with resounding win

The women’s hockey seconds started their season with a fine 10-0 win over Leeds sixths

Image: Sam Newsome

Image: Sam Newsome

UNIVERSITY OF YORK SECONDS 10

LEEDS UNIVERSITY SIXTHS 0

A fine individual performance from Natalie Montezuma complimented a solid team effort from York’s Women’s seconds as they took apart Leeds sixths.

Cold, blustery conditions and bright blue skies were the backdrop for a scrappy first half, which saw a lot of chances come about from missed tackles. For a while it seemed neither team was willing to capitalise on the sporadic play, but the theme for the rest of the match was eventually laid down by Montezuma who, after twenty minutes, scored her first goal. She added three more to her personal tally and helped increase York’s lead to 5-0 by the end of the first half.

The beginning of the second half saw a more composed and united York side. Any mistake from Leeds was quickly pounced upon, with Montezuma claiming another following a short corner and extending the lead to six. With possession switching hands frequently, rapid offensives and counter-offensives set the tone of the second half. Leeds were quick in their advances but were unable to penetrate the York defence. Any real opportunity was squandered, which enabled York to expose the weakness of the Leeds side on the right flank.

Accurate passing and precise movements allowed York to have a constant attack on their opponent’s goal line, which culminated in Montezuma’s sixth goal, York’s seventh, and a game all but over.

York’s dominance down the right side of the pitch created another goal mouth scramble, which Montezuma was able to take advantage of and increase the lead further. With the game drawing to a close, Sophie Anderson provided possibly the highlight: a majestic strike that sailed past the dumbfounded Leeds goalkeeper and found the back of the net.

It was a fine way to cap off a resounding 10-0 victory that, as non-playing captain Leila Asrari described, showed ‘a York team that is very focused, very efficient, and really fulfilling their potential’.