Men’s hockey firsts hammered by Newcastle

The men’s firsts were thrashed 8-0 by a rampant Newcastle firsts on the JLD on Wednesday afternoon

Image: Sam Newsome

Image: Sam Newsome

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 0

NEWCASTLE UNIVERSITY FIRSTS 8

The men’s hockey firsts were on the receiving end of an 8-0 thrashing from Newcastle firsts earlier today. The result will come as a sizeable hit to the already fragile confidence of a side attempting to rebuild following the loss of the likes of Andy McIlwraith and Billy Walsh but it was a game in which York came up against a side at the very top of their game.

York gave the ball away very early on, something that proved to be a warning for things to come and while it didn’t result in a goal for Newcastle, the visitors didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring; Hector Hall dribbling past York defenders and finishing off nicely to make it 1-0.

Soon after York had their best chance of the match. Some good work from skipper Andy Harris led to a short corner and when that fell to Harris he was denied only by the post. Newcastle, not to be outdone, were soon denied by the woodwork themselves. This time Max Underwood cut in from the right and shot, only to see his effort come back off the crossbar.

It was soon 2-0. Harriman did well to keep out a short corner but it fell invitingly to John Yarro who was left with the easiest of tasks to double his side’s tally. A swift counter-attack was then finished off by Ian Rossiter to make it 3-0 and before the end of the first half there was still time for two more Newcastle goals. Firstly Hall ensured he got a brace when a defensive mix-up at the back presented him with a golden opportunity and then Ed Youngman made it five just before the interval.

Image: Sam Newsome

At this point the game was already over. Skipper Harris spoke to his players during half time but the second half could have been about nothing more than saving face and keeping the score down. Despite this Torrington and Sava nearly combined to get the home side on the scoresheet but were denied by Tony Raper in the Newcastle goal.

York were looking better in the second half, more solid at the back and were able to pose one or two problems for Newcastle as they went forward. However it simply wasn’t going to be York’s day as the visitors extended their lead to 6-0; Nick Latchman was beaten for pace down the flank and when the ball was cut back to the top of the D, Newcastle’s Ben Gowing did the rest.

There was still time for Sam Mower and Underwood to add goals seven and eight but at this point York’s heads had completely dropped and the game ended 8-0 to the away side. The final whistle will prompt many questions for Andy Harris and his side as they seek to improve and move on. Richard Larkin contemplated on the result: “There’s a lot of new faces in the side and we’re not totally used to playing with each other yet. The Freshers have the ability but they need to have the confidence to match it”. It was a game that Larkin, Harris and the rest of the team will want to forget but with so many new faces they can only improve.

York: Harriman, Larkin, Foakes, Steele, Richards, Meller, Torrington, Harris, Inman, Alder, Bode. Substitutes: Wheatley, Siva, Latcham.